does this electric mill look good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHM55SM...s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwy
1706150868643.png

im on the hunt for a grainmill . im leaning toward electric.

does anyone have this or something similar . its $117 with coupon. which seems like a good deal

do you think i can just clamp it to a table with the hopper side hanging off the side over a 5 gallon pail

thanks

You'll like it for a little while. It will work, but it's an underpowered motor that they compensate for with a step-down gear. That'll trade the speed of the motor for torque to grind the grain with the sacrifice of speed. It may take 5 - 10 minutes to mill 10 lbs.

I say do it if you're not looking for anything long-term or will use it casually. If you want something that'll last for a while and/or you'll use it more often, I would get something a bit better.

That looks like a heckuva deal, an unpowered mill will cost you at least $110 or so. But that also makes me think, it's probably too good of a deal, and that motor is going to catch fire, fall over, and sink into the swamp.

Tho I too would like to find a good solution to avoid hand-cranking my mill every time. My drill can spin the free-spinning rollers well enough, but if there's any grain in it, it's got too much resistance, and the drill just chokes. And I'm not coordinated enough to pour grain in while holding the bucket steady and operating the drill at the same time.

Yeah I did and it seemed like consensus was the hullwrwecker oon Amazon for 100$. This is only 17 more. With motor. I brew one 6 gallon batch every month. The grist is usually 10 to 11 lbs. I don’t mind the time. the hopper capacity of 4 liters confused me. How many pounds of grain can you put in a 4 liter hopper.

I have this mill, and like it a lot. It is slow, but the benefit of that is you can set the gap very tight (I BIAB, and set my gap to ~0.22") but not shred the husks - good for lautering. It also has gear drive for the rollers, so you don't have to worry about the idle roller not engaging. I think the gear drive is also part of what minimizes husk shredding. The method of attaching the hopper sides to each other is kind of mickey mouse, but it is adequate.

Brew on :mug:

the hopper capacity of 4 liters confused me. How many pounds of grain can you put in a 4 liter hopper.
5# of unmilled grain/malt has the volume of around 1 U.S. gallon (almost 4 liters).

I always start my drill/mill unloaded at a locked-in speed setting. Then I pour the grist into the hopper. The speed drops to 1/3 or less, I can hear it chew through it. I just top it up once or twice.

Drill type matters. My DeWalt XRP 18V cordless has three gear settings behind a monster motor and can easily develop wrist-testing torque. I use it on my wheat/oats/rye mill and it'll start the mill with it already full of grains, I just have to sneak up on the trigger so I don't snap a wrist.

Otoh, my DeWalt corded drill isn't in the same power universe. I wouldn't even bother trying to spin a mill with it...

Cheers!

If it seems to good to be true usually is. And this price I would say falls into that category. As @FloppyKnockers said, it's most likely a short term solution. For that price I would probably buy it though, keeping in mind it will only last as long as it lasts...

I'm a bit puzzled about that people seems to have a hard time crushing grain though. I'm using a pretty standard Ryobi ONE+ cordless drill which I would consider not extraordinary powerful at all, and I have never had any problems crushing with this one. I usually double crush (0.075" + 0.035") though. Could be that it was harder trying to just crush fine directly.

Maybe it was different a few days ago but it says $60 shipping for me. It does seem like a great deal at $117 but maybe not as much at $177.

I must be the outsider. I like hand cranking the mill. My last brew was about 12 pounds of grain. Took me a few extra minutes, but I got thru it. I hooked my drill up but could not keep the speed consistent so I decided to go with the hand crank for now. If I get into the 10 gallons and more then yea, sort of motor is probably best.

yeah it was 10 $ deklivery when i posted and now its 60$???

i found others that are very good prices for similar model but after doing the math i think it would take me 3-4 years to recover the outlay.
i brew about 12 times per year and my lhbs charges me about 2 dollars a batch to mill. it would take me a few years to recover that
so i think i will hold off for now;
even a manual will take me a few yeasr to recover the cost. and it takes up space and adds milling time to my brew day. obviously the benefit is that when i ordered milled grainit has a shorter shelf life and the beers must be made in a reasonable time. ( theres controversy as to how long milled grain will stay good)

heres a two roller manual with base for 86$ prime
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V8DZN6K/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2RJPYLMPS0259&psc=1and heres a 2 roller manual with out base for 71 with shipping also a great deal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093H1D2HZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AC272EEYFOWCA&psc=1thanks

With a user recommendation from @doug293cz I'd go for it if I was getting a mill. Currently using an overpriced maltzilla.
I don't tend to stand around watching the grain being milled I seem to find something to do.
Having the recommendation from well known user tempted me, but I'll stick with my ugly junk corona mill for now.

yeah it was 10 $ deklivery when i posted and now its 60$???

i found others that are very good prices for similar model but after doing the math i think it would take me 3-4 years to recover the outlay.
i brew about 12 times per year and my lhbs charges me about 2 dollars a batch to mill. it would take me a few years to recover that
so i think i will hold off for now;
even a manual will take me a few yeasr to recover the cost. and it takes up space and adds milling time to my brew day. obviously the benefit is that when i ordered milled grainit has a shorter shelf life and the beers must be made in a reasonable time. ( theres controversy as to how long milled grain will stay good)

heres a two roller manual with base for 86$ prime
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V8DZN6K/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2RJPYLMPS0259&psc=1and heres a 2 roller manual with out base for 71 with shipping also a great deal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093H1D2HZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AC272EEYFOWCA&psc=1thanks
They charge you to mill the grains? My local place has a mill in the back where the grains are and you just weigh it, mill it and bag it. No extra charge unless it's built into the price of the grain.

Comments of others considered, and I don't disagree with any of them, I would charge you $80-100 just to machine and assemble that mill.
Just saying...
So unless it smokes in the first ten batches or so I'd roll the dice. But $60 shipping VS $10 is a consideration.

As to your question of just hanging over the edge of the table, I try to keep the output bucket as close to the mill as possible just to control dust. And since I doubt that motor has a FM Intrinsically Safe rating that is something to consider (for all powered mills for that matter).

Comments of others considered, and I don't disagree with any of them, I would charge you $80-100 just to machine and assemble that mill.
Just saying...
So unless it smokes in the first ten batches or so I'd roll the dice. But $60 shipping VS $10 is a consideration.

As to your question of just hanging over the edge of the table, I try to keep the output bucket as close to the mill as possible just to control dust. And since I doubt that motor has a FM Intrinsically Safe rating that is something to consider (for all powered mills for that matter).
Even if the motor does eventually give-up the ghost, I bet you can just remove the motor and switch housing and resort to electric drill or crank mode..

The mill the OP posted is awsome. just not the current price. Amazon goes up and down on price all the time. filter by "amazon free shipping" too.

Patience and you can score one for a decent price. Don't be afraid of Amazon warehouse returns either.

I got that one and it is a torque monster with the gear reduction. Slow but won't stall or quit. Make sure it's the double gear one. I did a write up on my grain mill build.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/stereo-cabinet-grain-mill-build.690509/

Latest posts

Back