Making my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwetherford

Reaction score
I am going to be sanding and painting my kegerator this week sometime with chalkboard paint. But my fridge is textured and I am worried about the paint taking and working well because it is chalkboard paint and have never used it I am verrrrry iffy about it what do you guys say about the texture what to do should I worry or what.

I cant really see it giving you a problem with it adhering to the fridge with the proper prep work. The only thing I can see that would give you a problem would be the chalk taking a little longer to clean off since the ridges could make cleaning it harder. But again I highly doubt that would be a problem as well.

I painted part of my kegerator with chalkboard paint. No prep work at all and it came out great. I had to do two coats for it to get good coverage, but I'm happy with the results. As far as cleaning, a moist paper towel takes the chalk right off.

KowboyTrav said:
I painted part of my kegerator with chalkboard paint. No prep work at all and it came out great. I had to do two coats for it to get good coverage, but I'm happy with the results. As far as cleaning, a moist paper towel takes the chalk right off.

Can you post a picture

I painted my freezer of my fridge with chalkboard paint. I sanded the area thoroughly to try and take down the texture, then used probably 15 coats of paint, (apply, wait 2 hrs, apply, wait, apply, wait, apply wait....). I wetsanded it every 5 coats or so. Worked great, super smooth, but if I were to do it again I'd probably use a super thick primer or bondo first, sand that, THEN apply chalkboard paint, (probably would have reduced the # of coats by quite a few!). I used "adhesion promoter" primer, which is a spray paint can full of solvents and a primer that is a primer in the true sense, (little-to-no thickness).

So, sand it down, Prime it good and wet sand, then apply chalkboard paint, or sand, bondo, sand, paint, or sand, paintpaintpaintpaintpaintpaintpaint-wetsand (repeat 2x).

Latest posts

Back