Re-thinking some common spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheezydemon3 said:
Try it. The roasted garlic is subtle, and really makes a paste for evrything to stick to. The mix of rosemary and thyme is magical.

When I use roasted garlic on my roast beef I typically push it into slits in the meat. I do use roasted garlic/rosemary on my lamb. Mmmm lamb.

When I use roasted garlic on my roast beef I typically push it into slits in the meat. I do use roasted garlic/rosemary on my lamb. Mmmm lamb.

I cut slits in a leg of lamb & push fresh garlic cloves into them before roasting, I also take sprigs of fresh cut rosemary & either tuck them under the twine (boneless leg) or I either tie them on with twine or cut the sprigs into smaller pieces & stuff them into slits cut into the meat.

When I dry rosemary from the garden, I save the stems & let them dry, they make great little skewers & are quite aromatic, they add a subtle rosemary flavour to kabobs. Great, now I'm hungry for lamb!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Isn't lamb the best meat no one is eating? I've been thinking about doing a rack of lamb pretty soon. I've got some rosemary I dried last year, still pretty fresh smelling believe it or not.

gratus fermentatio said:
I cut slits in a leg of lamb & push fresh garlic cloves into them before roasting, I also take sprigs of fresh cut rosemary & either tuck them under the twine (boneless leg) or I either tie them on with twine or cut the sprigs into smaller pieces & stuff them into slits cut into the meat.

When I dry rosemary from the garden, I save the stems & let them dry, they make great little skewers & are quite aromatic, they add a subtle rosemary flavour to kabobs. Great, now I'm hungry for lamb!

You've got great lamb up your way!

Yes we do, it's just as pricey as the lamb from New Zealand, but it's local, certified grass fed/organic & seemingly tastier. You might find this link useful:
http://montananaturallamb.com/home.php

Chevon (young goat) is pretty tasty, affordable & easy to get if you know the right people; it's not offered in stores though.

Apparently most people don't like the flavour of adult sheep or goats. Older goat can be pretty gamy though, so I can't really blame John Q. Public for not liking it, but mutton isn't bad at all. I think it's just a flavour that most Americans are not accustomed to. One of these days I hope to have the space to raise my own mutton.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
Yes we do, it's just as pricey as the lamb from New Zealand, but it's local, certified grass fed/organic & seemingly tastier. You might find this link useful:
http://montananaturallamb.com/home.php

Chevon (young goat) is pretty tasty, affordable & easy to get if you know the right people; it's not offered in stores though.

Apparently most people don't like the flavour of adult sheep or goats. Older goat can be pretty gamy though, so I can't really blame John Q. Public for not liking it, but mutton isn't bad at all. I think it's just a flavour that most Americans are not accustomed to. One of these days I hope to have the space to raise my own mutton.
Regards, GF.

I was out there this past March and quite enjoyed Montana lamb.

gratus fermentatio said:
You should've said something, if you were near Missoula, I'd have bought you a beer, or better yet, offered you some homebrew.
Regards, GF.

We stayed in Big Sky. If I'm out your way again I will let you know!

I keep a jar of pickled ginger in the fridge. Once the ginger has been used I use the vinegar brine which is infused with gingery goodness to make apple, sage and ginger hot sauce. The stuff is magic I tell you. I do the same with the vinegar from pickled onions, peppers and garlic, the flavour in the brine is intense!

That's a brilliant idea. I have been on a refrigerator pickle kick lately (don't have a pressure canner) and been pickling just about everything, especially peppers. Been using a sweet pickle brine doctored with some hot pepper flakes. I bet that brine in a BBQ sauce would rock!

I keep a jar of pickled ginger in the fridge. Once the ginger has been used I use the vinegar brine which is infused with gingery goodness to make apple, sage and ginger hot sauce. The stuff is magic I tell you. I do the same with the vinegar from pickled onions, peppers and garlic, the flavour in the brine is intense!

When I have to skimp and use storebought barbecue sauce (the 16 oz bottles) , in goes 3 tbsp of good mustard and half the vinegar from a jar of jalapenos.

Try it. The roasted garlic is subtle, and really makes a paste for evrything to stick to. The mix of rosemary and thyme is magical.

I used a hybrid of your idea last night CD - I roasted a head of garlic and used that as the base of a paste containing salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar (just a little), rosemary, shallot, and olive oil. The paste got schmeared on the inside of a butterflied chuck roast. The roast got sprinkled with bread crumbs and a thin layer of sharp provolone was added before i rolled and tied the roast. After a few hours in the fridge I seared the roast then put in a shallow braise with wine, more rosemary, and garlic.
YUM!

I used a hybrid of your idea last night CD - I roasted a head of garlic and used that as the base of a paste containing salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar (just a little), rosemary, shallot, and olive oil. The paste got schmeared on the inside of a butterflied chuck roast. The roast got sprinkled with bread crumbs and a thin layer of sharp provolone was added before i rolled and tied the roast. After a few hours in the fridge I seared the roast then put in a shallow braise with wine, more rosemary, and garlic.
YUM!

Sounds so tasty! If your doorbell rings right about suppertime, don't worry, it's just me, stopping by to mooch. :D
Makes the herbed (summer savoury) chicken I made yesterday pale in comparison. Though I did make a zesty ketchup to go with the seasoned fries:
Just a dollop of rooster sauce mixed into the ketchup; simple, but tasty.
Regards, GF.

Sounds so tasty! If your doorbell rings right about suppertime, don't worry, it's just me, stopping by to mooch. :D
Makes the herbed (summer savoury) chicken I made yesterday pale in comparison. Though I did make a zesty ketchup to go with the seasoned fries:
Just a dollop of rooster sauce mixed into the ketchup; simple, but tasty.
Regards, GF.

If you're ever in Mass you are welcome!

I made asian "wife" noodles with 5 kinds of bullion....

Shrimp, fish, chicken, beef, ham.

I also threw in 1 anise pod, 1 tbsp chopped ginger, dried tabasco chilis, onion powder and lots of fresh garlic.

It was fantastic!

I made asian "wife" noodles with 5 kinds of bullion....

Shrimp, fish, chicken, beef, ham.

I also threw in 1 anise pod, 1 tbsp chopped ginger, dried tabasco chilis, onion powder and lots of fresh garlic.

It was fantastic!

This sounds sooooo awesome! I'd really like to try making this, any more to the recipe? How strong was the anise flavour? Do you think the anise could be subbed out for lime juice?
Is an Asian wife required for this recipe? I'm not opposed to getting one, but it's a bit sudden. :D
Regards, GF.

This sounds sooooo awesome! I'd really like to try making this, any more to the recipe? How strong was the anise flavour? Do you think the anise could be subbed out for lime juice?
Is an Asian wife required for this recipe? I'm not opposed to getting one, but it's a bit sudden. :D
Regards, GF.

The anise just added a hint of something good.....lime might work. My GF added pineapple chunks to her bowl and it was actually good.

DOH! scallions on top. LOTS of scallions were pretty key to the finish.

The anise just added a hint of something good.....lime might work. My GF added pineapple chunks to her bowl and it was actually good.

DOH! scallions on top. LOTS of scallions were pretty key to the finish.

So I'm guessing you're using shrimp paste for the bullion and beef & chicken stock, do you make your own broth from the fish & ham? Are you adding the meat too?
Regards, GF.

I used ALL bullion for this one, dried shrimp flakes for the shrimp, powder for the fish. (It smells SO fishy!!)

I added thin bits of chicken, but actual ham is traditional, and I would have loved some shrimp in it.

I used ALL bullion for this one, dried shrimp flakes for the shrimp, powder for the fish. (It smells SO fishy!!)

I added thin bits of chicken, but actual ham is traditional, and I would have loved some shrimp in it.

Ah, I think I got it now. I'll be making a version of this this weekend. Not sure if I'll be able to find fish powder, but I'll figure something out. Think fish sauce would be too sweet for a substitute?
Regards, GF.

Ah, I think I got it now. I'll be making a version of this this weekend. Not sure if I'll be able to find fish powder, but I'll figure something out. Think fish sauce would be too sweet for a substitute?
Regards, GF.

Fish sauce should work fine, maybe even better.

The only problem with cinnamon is, when used, everything tastes like cinnamon. :(

I'll try the nutmeg in my meatballs though! (cross fingers that the spousal unit & kids don't complain)

Asian market had all the bullions and shrimp flakes.

I could not believe how good the meatballs were with nutmeg.

As a side note to the spicy stuff - yesterday I made German Pancakes using left over egg nog as the milk. German pancakes as I know them are a sweet version of Yorkshire pudding (or popovers in the South), and are sort of a baked custard bread that expands in the oven and is a great base for either a savory or sweet filling. Awesome when baked in a large cast iron skillet. You can treat them like crude and thick crepes.

The nog was primarily freshly ground cassia cinnamon sticks and freshly ground nutmeg, with a dash of allspice added and some vanilla in organic whole milk. We mix ours san-booze, as I like bourbon and the wife likes rum mixed in. No Woodford Reserve Double Barrel was harmed in the making of the German Pancakes I am happy to say, but it nearly found it's way into some bourbon sugared pecans - but I was out of pecans. Seriously use very fresh nutmeg nuts and pungent cassia - makes all the difference. Add in a good dose of sea salt if you plan a sweet filling.

The pancake "filling" was whipped cream and folded with blackberry preserves, and a burned brown sugar crumble was added (brulei'd) for texture.

Between that and my 10% tripel to wash it down, I didn't move from my recliner for about 4 hours. Food and beer and football coma was deep and satisfying :) I should have taken pictures, but I was too busy nibbling and napping.

Happy New Year!

I could not believe how good the meatballs were with nutmeg.

There's not really an Asian market here, So I'm stuck with what I can find in the "ethnic" section of the grocery store or the Vietnamese restaurant that has a few items for sale, they might have what I need. I'll do the best I can with what I can get & will post my results.
Regards, GF.

No fish powder anywhere in town, decided to sub bonito flakes. No shrimp flakes either, subbing dried shrimp & maybe shrimp paste, if needed. Using chicken & beef stock from cans. No clue as to the "ham bullion," never heard of it before, neither has anyone at the grocery stores here. I suppose I could put some chunks of ham in the soup.
Got called in to work tonight on very short notice, so I'll have to make this tomorrow, but at least I got the ingredients, substitutions such as they are.
Regards, GF.

Use a boiled ham hock. Render that down and you can make a really nice pork stock. I do two in a 2 quart crock pot over night and reduce the stock by half. Set the render in the cold for a few hours and skim out the congealed fat. Makes an amazing stock for beans btw.

Use a boiled ham hock. Render that down and you can make a really nice pork stock. I do two in a 2 quart crock pot over night and reduce the stock by half. Set the render in the cold for a few hours and skim out the congealed fat. Makes an amazing stock for beans btw.

Awesome! I'll give it a shot, Thanks!

Been using that Ham bullion in sausage gravy.......AWESOME!!

I brown sausage and a little extra oil until done,
stir in enough flour to lightly coat everything,
cool (you don't want the milk to boil upon hitting the pan) add enough milk to cover almost everything,
bring the heat up, scraping and stirring until you get a nice boil,
reduce heat to low,

Add garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, ham bullion, salt to taste.

Best served over french fries.

Back