Washing and Re-Using Pumpkin Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbova3

Reaction score
Homebrewing world,

I just wanted to pass along an experiment I had. I brewed a Pumking clone a couple of weeks ago, washed the yeast, and re-used it for an IPA. Yes, that's right I re-used a pumpkin ale yeast on an IPA. I also had some washed yeast from a previous IPA that I used as well. I just tasted the new IPA while checking the gravity of it and I am not picking up any cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, or all spice flavor. I don't even get any aroma of the spices. So if you have the guts to brew a pumpkin ale or anything else with a lot of spices and re-use the yeast for another beer I don't think you have much to worry about. At least with my IPA I don't think I have anything to worry about because I get no taste of the spices. If you want to be on the safe side you could wash the pumpkin ale yeast twice but after just one wash it seemed to come out just fine. And if the IPA didn't turn out and had the spices flavor I was just going to say it was a Christmas ale and let it bottle condition until Christmas time.

I also want to say that this is the third beer that I have used this yeast on. All brews coming in at an OG of 1.060 or greater. Besides the Pumking clone I hit my FG with this last IPA. I may have rushed the Pumking or didn't pitch enough onto my Pumking. I love pumpkin beer and want it ready for the season! I know it's not great practice to use the same yeast over and over on a brew with an OG of 1.060 or higher but I'm going to keep running with it. I don't use a starter I just let the yeast come to room temperature and then put the washed yeast in a luke warm/warm bath in the sink to get them going. I would say if anything I have overpitched the yeast just to be on the safe side because of the multiple uses of the yeast on brews with a high OG but they seem to be coming out fine.

Yeast I am using is Wyeast American Ale 1056.

Any questions let me know.

Latest posts

Back