Just bottled my first batch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhughes

Reaction score
So last night I finally bottled my first batch of home brewed beer. It's a pale ale and was in the primary for a little under 3 weeks. I had to go ahead and bottle last night so I could have some ready for a visiting friend 3 weeks from now.
Last night was the first time I had even seen the beer since I put it in the primary. I didn't take a gravity reading when I brewed the beer so I didn't worry about taking any at this point since I wouldn't be able to tell the ABV anyway.
Upon opening the lid of my fermenter, a great fragrance of beer hit my nose when I inhaled. It looked and smelled great! It was actally lighter than I was expecting based on everything I've read about using LME and the difficulty in getting light beers (I did not do a late extract).

After bottling a few beers, I poured a sample in a glass and tried it out. It actually tasted like beer. I'm not sure what "green beer" taste like, but if this were the finished product, besides being flat, it would be pretty weak as far as the flavor coming through. The flavor that was there was good, just not much "body" to it. Will the flavor of the beer come out more as it conditions in the bottles?

Thanks!

I just bottled a Winter Warmer a few nights ago and for all the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc that went in I was unimpressed with the taste for the most part. I'm hoping it gets better with age in the bottles as well.

Lots of folks think that their beer is thin until it carbonates. I have no way of knowing if your beer if your beer is actually a thin bodied beer but the odds are in your favor that it will improve considerably with carbonation and conditioning.

Back