rhubarb and redcurrant (bounce)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duanedargis

Reaction score
Am currently enjoying my cherry bounce with vodka which was started in July, 2012. Have about 6 extra bottles for Christmas gifts.

2 questions for my next projects:
1. for rhubarb bounce, should I use a white rum or a gold rum ?
2. I have a large frozen bag from last summer's redcurrant pickings - what would any of you recommend for a redcurrant bounce? vodka ? rum ? whiskey ? Any other ideas ?

Duane

I had to look up what a 'bounce' was. :)
Looks like they're normally made with brandy, but why not change the rules?

Not sure about the rhubarb, but for the red currant, I'd suggest vodka. This will let the currant really show through.

Thanks,Kittyfeet.
I'll keep your recommendation on file and see if there are any other suggestions.
I agree about the visual appearance - but what about taste ?
If you have not tried to make any type of "Bounce", I suggest you try it.
Get some red or black cherries, add sugar, and vodka (or brandy). Give it 6 months and savor it on a cold rainy afternoon. I live in Ireland - need I say more ?
Google "Cherry Bounce" and you'll come across all kinds of Bounce recipes.
D

As for taste, could you do a few taste tests to see which one you like best? Maybe muddle some of the fruit in the whiskey, rum, etc, add some sugar, and have a sip. That way, you can get a general idea of what your final product would be.

From what I recall (and I'm getting some details wrong), gold rum and whiskey are aged in oak, which may overpower some delicate fruits like rhubarb. But they'll probably do well with stone fruits like cherry.

I've made something like a 'bounce', but my spirit of choice is vodka. For me, it started when I made lemoncello (threads exist on here about it). From there, I started soaking all types of fruit in vodka and making awesome flavored vodkas, or cutting them with simple syrup to make a cordial type drink.

At the moment, I have blueberry vodka, lemoncello. Cordials include: cranberry orange cinnamon, raspberry, blackberry, peach cinnamon, and a few others. They're dangerous!

I need to try a few with brandy. Maybe a peach bounce will be my next project.

Peach sounds great, however, a friend (college classmate) of my in Bowling Green, Ohio says that his experience with peach bounce leaves the liquid cloudy because of the soft, mushy fruit. It doesn't even settle well in the aging.

Too bad about the cloudiness. Do you think a clearing agent would have any affect on a cloudy bounce? Folks use it to clear wine, maybe it'll also work for other liquids.

Not sure what you have access to where you are, but bentonite is a clay fining agent.

Latest posts

Back