Final gravity reading, any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radarbrew

Reaction score
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch a
I brewed a American from extract, starting gravity was about 1050, checked it today, as it has slowed, and looks to be about 1025. Yes, I drank the sample, it was good. A bit sweet, but not at all harsh in flavor. It is a little darker than I like, but I think the extract was a bit old. So I was gonna transfer to bottling bucket and bottle it this weekend. I'm not worried about clearing, as there wasn't a lot of suspended matter, and it's pretty clear already. I should mention, it's been a week, and it tasted pretty good.
So any thoughts on final grav and the ABV? :D

DO NOT BOTTLE...It's not done yet...

With an OG of 50 your FG should be 12. Since it's currently at 25 it is no where near ready.

50 - 12 = 38 = 3.990% ABW or 4.988% ABV

(Just for Shiites and giggles since your gravity is 25 = 2.625% ABW or 3.281% ABV)

exactly what he said. you're not done fermenting.

how long was it in primary? and at what temperature?

If you relook at my post you'll see I got 3.2 also. ;)

As for the calculations, I put together an Excel spreadsheet with all the computations already on it. All I have to do is look up the difference between the OG and FG and read the percentages next to the difference. :D

Most yeast attenuates in the 75% range so if you divide the OG by 4 the answer should be your FG (50 / 4 = 12).;) Any number higher than that (12) would be sweeter, lower drier and more alcohol...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
If you relook at my post you'll see I got 3.2 also. ;)

As for the calculations, I put together an Excel spreadsheet with all the computations already on it. All I have to do is look up the difference between the OG and FG and read the percentages next to the difference. :D

Most yeast attenuates in the 75% range so if you divide the OG by 4 the answer should be your FG (50 / 4 = 12).;) Any number higher than that (12) would be sweeter, lower drier and more alcohol...:D

Just to add to this, don't get hung up on hitting a 75% attenuation precisely. In other words, HB has pointed out that at 75% attenuation your beer would hit at final gravity of 1.012. If you're within 3 or 4 points of this either way (1.015 - 1.009), and the gravity stays the same for a couple of days it's done. If it's much higher than that you risk bottle bombs.

I should've added that it was only there for a week, at about 70 degrees, sometimes a bit cooler as the temp outside dropped. It took a while to actually bubble and it was a slow ferment with very little krausen. But I'm not in a hurry, I'll let it go another week.
:mug:

IowaStateFan said:
Just to add to this, don't get hung up on hitting a 75% attenuation precisely. In other words, HB has pointed out that at 75% attenuation your beer would hit at final gravity of 1.012. If you're within 3 or 4 points of this either way (1.015 - 1.009), and the gravity stays the same for a couple of days it's done. If it's much higher than that you risk bottle bombs.
Right. I just use 75% as a average because the math is easier.... ;)

If your yeast says 69-72% then use those numbers instead of 75.

Back