Be on the lookout for Clown Shoes Space Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is a remarkable new DIPA just released in the last week or so. First brew I've tried from Clown Shoes, but if this is any indication, I'll be trying more of them. They indicate the the primary hop is Mosaic. I'm going to be trying to get my hands on some for an upcoming brew, hoping to come even a little bit close to this. I hope someone more experienced than me is able to deconstruct this one to come up with a clone recipe.

Space Cake.jpg

This is a remarkable new DIPA just released in the last week or so. First brew I've tried from Clown Shoes, but if this is any indication, I'll be trying more of them. They indicate the the primary hop is Mosaic. I'm going to be trying to get my hands on some for an upcoming brew, hoping to come even a little bit close to this. I hope someone more experienced than me is able to deconstruct this one to come up with a clone recipe.

Good to know!

Clown shoes makes some awesome beers. I have tried several of theirs in the past. I will be on the look out for this as I am just now getting my palate up to speed for hops.

I'm anxious to hear what others think of this brew. I went on to RateBeer.com and was surprised to find it hadn't even been set up yet. So I had the honor of adding the beer to their database and writing the first review! I don't have the most sophisticated palate, and I tend to get excited about whatever great beer I'm drinking at the moment, so I may have overdone it a bit, but I really do think this is an exceptional beer.

cmwolfe30, don't be afraid. It's not as "in your face" as some of the other hop bomb IPAs out there. There are some serious hops for sure, but it has a really nice balance and some sweetness as well. It finishes nice and smooth.

So, has anyone else tried this yet? It now has 6 ratings on RateBeer.com, with an average rating over 4.2, so I'm not the only one who thinks this is a fantastic brew. Looking to brew something with Mosaic soon. I'm sure I can't clone this, but just getting in the neighborhood would be satisfying.

I tried it last night. Great aroma and nice burst of hop flavor. I agree about brewing with Mosaic soon. I thought it was a little overly boozy for my taste, though.

I'll probably give it another try soon, though.

I had it on draft maybe a month ago at Horrock's market in Kentwood, MI. I thought it was fantastic. I hope to track it down again in the future. My LHBS didn't have bottles of it last I checked.

I have a bomber of it in the garage fridge that will be consumed tomorrow night. I have high hopes for it - hope it lives up to my expectations.

FWIW, I have liked almost every Clown Shoes product I have tried. Hoppy Feet is a truly well done black IPA.

I stopped into a new local bottle shop and found this yesterday. I talked to the owner and he loves Clown Shoes beer. I grabbed a bomber of this and also undead party crasher stout.

I stopped into a new local bottle shop and found this yesterday. I talked to the owner and he loves Clown Shoes beer. I grabbed a bomber of this and also undead party crasher stout.

I find all of their brews solid, with the exception of Clementine, which tastes too much like Blue Moon. I used to like Blue Moon, now I can't stand it. It's the coriander...blech...

So we cracked our bomber open tonight only to realize it's none too fresh. This was about 10 times better on tap. Bummer.

I had it a couple years ago, really nice beer. I saw they just re-released it a couple months ago but my shopping basket was already full with more beer than I could carry. Alas. Maybe next time

Back