2nd Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
Well a friend told you your not supposed to boil your mix in an aluminum pot , I used a 10 gallon ... Did I mess up . I havent read that your not supposed to use alum. anywhere?

Aluminum is more finiky than stainless, and you have to really stir well as you have a greater risk of scorching. You do need to ozidize it first - boil water in it for an hour, then you're good to go.

aluminum is perfectly acceptable to use, many people use them myself included. as chickypad and homebrewdad said, just make sure its conditioned first.

Well a friend told you your not supposed to boil your mix in an aluminum pot , I used a 10 gallon ... Did I mess up . I havent read that your not supposed to use alum. anywhere?

If you didn't create a passive oxidation layer as everyone above has mentioned then the batch you boiled in the pot might end up with a strong metallic taste. All you can do at this point is ride it out, and see what it comes out like. Otherwise, once you have created the oxidation layer, aluminum is just fine. I used to boil in aluminum pots when I first started. Now those pots are used to heat strike/sparge water..

Its been used 100 of times ,,fried turkeys ,crawfish . I cleaned it with a brillo pad and them star san

Between the brillo and the star san you took off any of the conditioned surface. Boil water like said above to get the pot conditioned again. Clean with a non abrasive sponge and dish soap to keep the layer.

Check out the sticky on alum vs stainless for any and all info on alum conditioning...as well as the difference in metals.

I actually find that I have less problems with scorching than I did with stainless. Of course, the Aluminum kettle I'm using now is a commercial 60 qt. (THICK walls)

Back