More spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawton

Reaction score
I followed pretty closely the Thunderstruck Pumpkin recipe at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/. For the spice, 1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice was added ~10 minutes left in the boil. Before adding the yeast I taste tested the sample and the spice was pretty strong, had me a little worried. But after fermentation completed I taste tested the gravity sample and the spice was hardly noticeable. Any recommendations on whether to try and add some spice during bottling (e.g. boil it in with the bottling sugar)? Or will the spice come out over time?

Thanks.

I've had much better luck adding spices post boil/fermentation when I want to taste/smell them. The easiest way is to make a spice tea with at bottling. You can either add slowly, mix, and sample as you go; or make measured blends and then scale-up to the whole batch. Adding spices to the boil tends to mute/integrate them, works great for Belgians where you want a subtle complexity, but not great for holiday type beers (although late boil additions work for some people).

Back