Why hydrate Yeast, or use liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boland398

Reaction score
Im trying to find out why people use the liquid yeast or why they hydrate their yeast before they mix it with the wart. Does it effect the taste or what?

#1 rehydrating dry yeast in water activates it. Rehyrdating it in a sugar solution (wort) causes issues with the permeability of the cell walls of the yeasties as they are brought out of thier sleep. It is generally easier for the yeast to activate and rehydrate in water, instead of wort.

#2 generally liquid yeasts are used in specialty beers... they have a WIDE variety with different attributes. Cant brew a heffeweizen with Nottingham.. you need like WLP300 or something like that. There are many more strains when you start looking at liquid yeast. Your choices in dry yeast are very limited.

If I understand correctly, there are a LOT more strains that come with liquid yeast, not sure exactly why. Re-hydrating dry yeast strengthens the cell walls of the lovely little bacteria before they get tossed into a massive amount of sugars, giving less of a lag time, also increasing their survival rate. Extremely short, subpar explanation, but I figured I'd chime in since no one else has yet.

Back