Sugar + Water + yeast seems to have no alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi

Due to lack of time to brew all grain, I decided to just mix water and surgar with kveik yeast. I normally ferment beer within a week with this yeast. After a week and a half, the liquid is more white/trasparent and have some spark in it and some co2 get out of the fermenter when I oppened it so the fermentation is supposed to work. But unfortunatly, the liquid does not taste alcohol at all. Just have a weird smell and taste and some sugar seems to still be in liquid cause it taste like.

Is it safe to drink 2-3 glasses of it just to know if it has some alcohol effect?

If you knew what the starting specific gravity was and the ending specific gravity is, then you could estimate the alcohol content.

And if you know the amount of water and sugar you started with you can estimate the beginning SG (OG). However the ending SG (FG) needs to be measured as anything else will just be a wild guess.

As to whether it's safe depends mostly on how sanitary you kept everything while mixing and letting it ferment.

Back