Brutus 10 and propane issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
Well, I brought my Brutus 10 clone out for NHBD and something I have never experienced before happened.

When I would light the second or third burner the propane output would stop.

Wait a few seconds and it would start back up again. It was almost like the regulater was sensing too much gas flowing and would close off the valve.

Is that possible? And if so what can I do to work around it?

I'm using a 30psi regulater and 3 175k BTU 23jet burners. I should also note that this propane tank was close to empty (about 1/5 left).

Thanks in advance!

What size propane tank were you using? It is possible that the LP couldnt vaporize fast enough if it was a small tank.

That would be my first guess.

I don't if there is ever a need to have three burners going all at once, but a 20 lb tank should handle 2 just fine. 3 wide open, im not so sure.

I don't have the 23 jet burners, just 3 regular turkey fryer burners, and I can run 3 simultaneously with either a 10 or 30 psi reg. Maybe it had to do with a low tank.

I've also had this happen... If the regulator is not completely closed when I open the valve on the tank, the safety valve on the tank doesn't allow the propane to fully flow. Try disconnecting the tank, shut off the reg, reconnect, open tank valve, then reg. See if that helps.

I was using a 20lb tank. I normally wouldn't need all three burners going at once, but there are times when I will need at least two going.

I'm hoping that this was just because the tank was almost out.

I did try shutting off the reg, disconnecting the tank and reconnecting with out change. One burner would still fire just fine, but the second one would catch and they both would go out.

I'll try it with full tank this evening and see what I can find out.

If the tank was almost empty, that could certainly be the cause. Let us know how it performs with a full tank. Or if you have a larger tank available try that.

Latest posts

Back