Floating peaches and brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnutp

Reaction score
I'm making a saison with WYEAST 3031 pitched in primary. I just racked most of it into secondary onto peaches and nectarines for some aging and to let the brett finish up. All those little peachy bastards are floating, which is not something I had thought about beforehand this being my first fruit aging rodeo. Do they eventually sink? Do I need to worry about punching them down periodically to make sure unwanted stuff doesn't start growing? Is a massive brett fruit pellicle going to form to protect it? I should note that it appears some secondary fermentation has kicked up (presumably the leftover saison yeast part of the blend getting down on the fruit sugars for a last hurrah) which will get some co2 in the headspace. Thanks!

I'd let it be. Nothing good will come of it if you open the fermenter to push down the peaches. The CO2 should protect it.

Did a golden sour on peaches recently, and the buggers floated the entire time, right up to when I cold crashed it. That sank 'em.

Thanks for the reply. Those must have been some janky-lookin peaches by the end!

I brewed last Monday using Wyeast 3031 also intending to rack over peaches in the secondary. How long did you let it ferment before racking?

Back