Newby...Foamless Degas (2nd batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkukiela

Reaction score
My second batch of wine. First was a Master Vintner Chardonnay and when I degassed it foamed up quite nicely during stirring with a whip attached to a power drill. For my second batch I did a Winexpert Cabernet Sauvignon and the degas did not foam much at all.
My primary fermentation was 7 days and brought the gravity all the way down to .992. It was a high temperature fermentation of 84 degrees so I should have checked it at day 5, but work schedule did not permit.
Did my degas not foam as much because I had already fermented so much in my primary?
I thoroughly whipped it for 3 minutes between each clarifying addition with very little foam.
What does this mean?

Thank you for any help you might offer...

Maybe it was warmer during the second wine making process, as a warmer temperature means that the c02 is more readily released.

Only kit wines need to be degassed generally, so if the wine doesn't have much gas in it, that's more normal than not.

Latest posts

Back