Uncertain if I bottled too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkuhl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend I bottled a blueberry wine. It was went from 1.092 SG to 1.006 FG. And I got a 1.006 twice with about a week gap between the readings.

But now I'm unsure if I read my hydrometer wrong. It's a gallon batch bottled into 4 750ml screw top bottles. And just for peace of mind, I've unscrewed the caps quickly and screwed them all back down (not enough to take the cap off, just enough to release whatever pressure is building up.). I've done this a few times and I hear a hiss each time, and I do see a small ring of bubbles around the neck at the surface.

I'm not sure if it's degassing, or if maybe there's still slow fermentation going. The yeast I used was Red Star Premier Blanc, which has a tolerance of around 18%, this wine went to 11%, and I'm aware that just because a yeast says it can go to 18%, doesn't mean it will. I have half a mind of pouring some into a graduated cylinder, taking another reading and putting it back into a carboy if the number is changed, but I don't want to risk contamination/oxidation if it's just me getting paranoid over degassing.

I did degas when i bottled, I don't have an electric drill with a stirring wand, but I stirred until it foamed and the hissing stopped.

Any thoughts? I feel like it should just be degassing but I'm getting paranoid over bottle bombs.

I would pour those back into a gallon jug and wait until your hydrometer reads .950 then rack into another jug with 1/2 tsp. sorbate. When the ring at the neck of the jug is clean with no air bubbles that signifies stoppage. Time is wines best friend

Okay I think I just jumped the gun seeing two identical hydrometer readings. But I did as you said and the measurement was 1.002 so there is still a slow fermentation going.

Back to the carboy it went and there it'll stay a few more weeks.

When it hits .950 usually there is some grape or berry flavor left, removing the wine from the primary lees at that point will help maintain a good finished product,

Back