Just had a bottle bomb - fluke or worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I just had my first bottle bomb. I was transferring some beers from the closet into the fridge to enjoy this weekend. As i was pulling one out of the 6 pack container it slightly clanked another beer and BOOM. I took a Bock-and-glass-shard shower. (BTW the beer smelled great!)

Should I worry about the others? It didnt really explode on its own, but it sure didnt take much to set it off.

Back story: BB European Bock kit (first brew) 16 days in primary, 18 days in secondary, been bottle conditioning for 17 days. Used the bag of priming sugar included with the kit. Cant imagine that I bottled too early. 34 days before bottling seems like plenty, plus FG was stable for 3 days before it even went into the secondary?

Drank one beer at 7 days, little head and carbonation. Had a beer at 14 days, good head and fine carbonation but nothing seemed excessive...

RDWHAHB?????? Maybe just a weak bottle?

Prolly just a weak bottle I've noticed that sam adams bottles tend to be pretty weak its a fluke for sure I over carbed one time and they started exploding like gun fire one after another six bottles exploded what a mess

Thanks guys. I did put the rest of the beers that are still in the closet in a large trash bag just in case. Im sure that I am over thinking it now :eek:

Just one of the many reasons I love my 30+ year old bar bottles!:D

This thread made me wonder...so I just went and weighed several newer bottles (Sam Adams, Bells, etc) and several of my old bottles. The modern bottles all average around 7oz. The old bar bottles average 10.5oz, that's a LOT more glass!

On the other hand, if one of those ever did let go, I sure wouldn't want to be in the same room! :eek:

"They just don't make things like they used to" LOL. It goes for everything, including bottles I guess.

I think it was a Sierra Nevada bottle that blew.

You said you used the bag of priming sugar from the kit. How much beer did you actually end up with and bottle? Did you bottle the full 5 gallons that the bag of priming sugar was intended for? Or did you end up with less than 5 gallons?

Also, how did you incorporate your priming sugar into your beer? It could be some bottles got more sugar in them than others?

I just wanted to suggest other possibilities. Let us know if you have any other bombs.

I ended up with 42 bottles, so my batch must have been a little less than 5 gallons - doesn't 5 gal = like 52 bottles or something? But I did "waste" a lot taking gravity readings. The cylinder I was putting the beer in to take my reading came from the dollar store and was way bigger than it needed to be. I lost maybe 6 beer's worth or so. I boiled the bag of sugar with 2 cups of water per the instructions. Poured the syrup in the bottom of the bottling bucket, racked the beer on top, gently stirred for a minute or so, then bottled with a wand.

Latest posts

Back