Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a sweet setup you got there. I'm a bit surprised you don't have a problem with your cast iron being outside. Humidity isn't a problem?

Ground four types of sausage today and smoked the Jaggerwurst and Kielbasa. Had some of them for supper, too.

013_zpsene5ix3h.jpg

021_zpsghcfalih.jpg

023_zpsnmumeei3.jpg

024_zpsrhyuxwa5.jpg

025_zpsiicmugr0.jpg

I got me a Costco pork belly cut it in half and made bacon. SWMBO was upset it was skinless. We love Chicharrón and didn't get any with this belly. I used Squib's pepper recipe for the jerky:

•1 Tbl. Worcestershire
•¼ cup Soy Sauce
•3 Tbl. Captain Morgan
•1 tsp onion powder
•1 tsp garlic powder
•1 Tbl coarse grind black pepper
•1.5 tsp Morton® Tender Quick®per pound of meat.

001_zpse1y5gqdc.jpg

002_zpsyiaozar0.jpg

003_zpsbcjptlj3.jpg

004_zpsett9dxue.jpg

015_zpsnluhktbd.jpg

I got me a Costco pork belly cut it in half and made bacon. SWMBO was upset it was skinless. We love Chicharrón and didn't get any with this belly. I used Squib's pepper recipe for the jerky:

•1 Tbl. Worcestershire
•¼ cup Soy Sauce
•3 Tbl. Captain Morgan
•1 tsp onion powder
•1 tsp garlic powder
•1 Tbl coarse grind black pepper
•1.5 tsp Morton® Tender Quick®per pound of meat.

...]

I like Chicharones tambien. They make great ones in Guatemala (where I live part time). Last cut of pork I got was skin on. I peeled it off and froze it to make Chicharones later. Any suggestions on making them?

I packed up my WSM and drove it 3 hours north so I could cook and serve pulled pork during a family vacation. It was a big hit.

Herfing another GG Cigars torpedo while I cook Chicharones "Meathead Style". My first attempt at these, but I have made some delicious stuff from this guys web site. Huge amount of info there from a pro, its like a college level course in all things BBQ. He busts a lot of popular myths too. See WWW.amazingribs.com.

Anyway, his approach to Chicharones is basically boil, BBQ, and sear. On the BBQ now with a liberal dose of his Memphis Dust pork rub...delicious stuff! Will move to direct heat in an hour or so and sear till crunchy. I'm expecting good stuff and have more pig skin in the freezer if it works out well.

Another reason I like living ashore part of the year...trying to do this on a boat would be a PITA.

View attachment 1439667893064.jpg

Herfing another GG Cigars torpedo while I cook Chicharones "Meathead Style". My first attempt at these, but I have made some delicious stuff from this guys web site. Huge amount of info there from a pro, its like a college level course in all things BBQ. He busts a lot of popular myths too. See WWW.amazingribs.com.

Anyway, his approach to Chicharones is basically boil, BBQ, and sear. On the BBQ now with a liberal dose of his Memphis Dust pork rub...delicious stuff! Will move to direct heat in an hour or so and sear till crunchy. I'm expecting good stuff and have more pig skin in the freezer if it works out well.

Another reason I like living ashore part of the year...trying to do this on a boat would be a PITA.

OMG Good!

If you like Chicharones (my GF does not but she's from California...what does she know) then try this recipe!

Probably shorten your life expectancy by a few years, but some things are worth it!

Before and after the KitchenAid dough hook.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439731821.570142.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439731831.403694.jpg

Injected with a mixture of Shiner 106 (the un-drinkable birthday cake stout), brown sugar, worcestershire, and olive oil then dry rubbed with Adams Reserve espresso chili. Smoked with hickory and oak for about 8 hours then kept warm in the oven while I got some sleep. I'll try not to eat it all before my buddies show up for brew day!

I perfer his memphis dust with the salt addition that he has since removed saying it is unnecessary. I use the way back machine in google to locate the old recipe. But I do agree it is great.

I bought a smallish brisket flat from Costco last week. I really need to figure out the best method for cooking it. It will be my first go around smoking a brisket. I do not foil my butts, I just go ~20 hours at 225, until they reach around 205 and they tend to end up perfect, and would think the same would work for brisket, but do not want to dry it out. What is the general consensus. Foil it because it will dry out otherwise, or go with my normal butt procedure? I tend to overplan smokes before I do them.

I perfer his memphis dust with the salt addition that he has since removed saying it is unnecessary. I use the way back machine in google to locate the old recipe. But I do agree it is great.

I bought a smallish brisket flat from Costco last week. I really need to figure out the best method for cooking it. It will be my first go around smoking a brisket. I do not foil my butts, I just go ~20 hours at 225, until they reach around 205 and they tend to end up perfect, and would think the same would work for brisket, but do not want to dry it out. What is the general consensus. Foil it because it will dry out otherwise, or go with my normal butt procedure? I tend to overplan smokes before I do them.

I cooked my first ever brisket recently. Followed Meathead's recipe and it turned out great (of course). He does recommend foiling ("crutching"), and I did. Also "dry brined" as he recommends.

I've got my "Send-Off" luau themed wedding party this Saturday. We're doing a pig roast with a number of tropical sides and 4 homebrews on tap for 50 friends and family members before we fly to Hawaii next weekend for the actual ceremony/honeymoon.

The beers on tap:

New England Style IPA
Honey Mango Blonde
Belgian Wit with sweet orange peel and heather tips
Brett Raspberry Saison

I'm guessing they're all going to kick.

Actually, that was totally posted in this thread by mistake (I meant to post it in the "What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend" thread), but I guess it still works!

Our anniversary is on the 27th, & we got some beef tip roasts & some beef ribs (cut from the ribeye) I wanna dry rub for the pit. Still tryin to make up my mind on what kind of rub to make up? Gonna toss in some corn & I got a cast iron dutch oven I wanna use in the pit for some dried black eyed peas with bacon, onion & greens too. Always wanted to try me some beef ribs for a few hours with some pin oak I trimmed off the trees out front.:rockin::ban::mug:

Last Sunday, first brisket. 7lb packer. 13 hours, 200* +/- (still have trouble stabilizing with lumps, but usually only varies 10* either way). Wrapped it in foil at hour 10, came out amazing.
Put me in the dough hook convert category. Mrs and my son both were beyond skeptical. But I said ya'll swore by it, and we were all amazed at how well it was shredded.

'Ems was good vittles!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440191253.810402.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440191288.140981.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440191302.871935.jpg

Last Sunday, first brisket. 7lb packer. 13 hours, 200* +/- (still have trouble stabilizing with lumps, but usually only varies 10* either way). Wrapped it in foil at hour 10, came out amazing.
Put me in the dough hook convert category. Mrs and my son both were beyond skeptical. But I said ya'll swore by it, and we were all amazed at how well it was shredded.

'Ems was good vittles!

View attachment 298004
View attachment 298005View attachment 298006

Looks great out if the smoker, but shredded brisket makes me sad.

'Ems was good vittles!

View attachment 298004
View attachment 298005View attachment 298006

We shred Pork Butts and or shoulders, not brisket. Low and slow allows the connective tissue to melt away and the brisket or any meat for that matter, turns out great.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Good cut of meat. But that was only half of it. Rest of it was just sliced up. Stayed moist throughout.

Different strokes. I like beef sliced and pork shredded. It's all good though!

Lol no worries, been to quite a few BBQ places that do both. My guess is when someone dries it out a bit, they shred it. Kinda like other threads on here talking about breweries taking "mistakes" and turning them into 'specialty brews'
I likes what I likes and I do what I want without worry of what others think I should do, so no offense taken at all.

Back