Eating Insects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had ants and crickets. The ants were store bought candies. The crickets were homemade by a coworkers mom. Both were good.

Anyone else eat bugs?

Everyone has eaten bug (parts)! There is some in every grain, processed vegetable that you buy.

I had chocolate covered ants. So long ago I don't really remember. I would certainly try any properly prepared, except maybe roaches, spiders......

I've had protein bars made with cricket flour. Got them at the hippie grocery store near me. They weren't that great.

I've eaten crickets, grasshoppers, meal worms, grubs (part of survival training), accidentally swallowed a fly once; and ate part of a tarantula (leg) when the author of this insect cookbook:
http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/eat-a-...n=0898159776&pcrid=70112897712&pkw=&pmt=&plc=
cooked up the tarantula during an interview. He fried it, so it tasted mostly just greasy & chitinous. The grubs were cooked & headless, learned to leave the heads with meal worms; way too tough & crunchy, so are legs. I might try some exotic insect dish at some point, but other than that, not unless I was starving.

I've had seasoned larva and dried crickets (I think). Bought them at a candy store in an amusement park. They weren't very good. Dry and mostly flavorless. Like eating cardboard pieces with pickling powder sprinkled on.

I'm down for it if anyone wants to share some with me and promise I won't get sick from it. I'm not necessarily going to go out and hunt down some bugs for the fun of it. I think that could be identified as the first event that indicated my eventual decline into insanity.

I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but I have a mental block against eating bugs. I know they do it around the world without incident, but I can't get rid of the mental image of having to pick legs and exoskeleton out of my teeth afterwards.

I do this as a kids science thing - on paper non eating them in indefensible if you're ok with eating meat. I make Cajun fried buffalo worms, mealworm brittle and cricket brownies. The buffalo worms are the most popular. I'd eat them regularly if my other half didn't object so much. Next year I plan to try cooking with drone larvae from my bees.

I think I'd be okay with eating bugs if they're not still bug-shaped when I eat them; I've heard of places where people catch thousands of tiny flies with nets and then press them together into patties that they then fry up, for example.

There's a beetle (name starts with ch or something) that is used to provide the red coloring in a lot of foods like jello and macaroni + cheese. I've seen it listed right on the ingredients (it doesn't say "beetle", just the unrecognizable name).

There's a beetle (name starts with ch or something) that is used to provide the red coloring in a lot of foods like jello and macaroni + cheese. I've seen it listed right on the ingredients (it doesn't say "beetle", just the unrecognizable name).

I had to look it up to remember. It's Cochineal (sp?). Dried bugs from South America.

Cochineal. It's really just bug juice. They squish the bugs & use the liquid as a "natural" dye. It's in pink grapefruit juice, candies, sauces, all sorts of things. Most people haven't a clue they're eating/drinking the bodily fluids of insects when they consume products that contain "cochineal extract."
Regards, GF.

Back