Growler or Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRI

Reaction score
What would be the advantage or disadvantage of using bottles instead of a growler? I'm brewing my first batch (5 Gal) in a few days with a couple other people and I was wondering about bottling in sizes bigger than the regular 12oz bottles. I know growlers were initially used for take out draft but would there be a disadvantage to using one over the regular sized bottles?

Growlers aren't made to hold the pressure needed for carbonating in the bottle, you can end up with very large bottle bombs.

I've noticed with the growlers I get @ Stone Brewing (pretty much the only place I get em...) that the carbonation tends to deplete around 2 days after opening. Had to toss out a good 1/2 jug of their 9/09 Vertical Epic because of it...not a good day, that was. :(

I've noticed with the growlers I get @ Stone Brewing (pretty much the only place I get em...) that the carbonation tends to deplete around 2 days after opening. Had to toss out a good 1/2 jug of their 9/09 Vertical Epic because of it...not a good day, that was. :(

This may be apparent, but once it is opened and depleted by any amount, there is that much room for the CO2 to escape from the beer and with there is no yeast and suger to create more. Have you found the flattening problem with a bottle kept full?

A couple other thoughts.

Once a growler is opened you should pretty much try to finish it the same day. Once some is drank the headspace allows the CO2 to bleed out of the rest of the beer making it flat. You aren't always in the mood for 1/2 gallon of beer at a sitting.

Also if you are in bottles and you have a friend you want to give some, or if you want to mail some, it is much easier to just give a couple bottles, and especially to mail just a couple bottles.

As another poster mentioned I don't know if growlers are rated for the amount of pressure you may see if you are carbonating in the growler.

the flip top growlers are rated for pressure (usually come brown in color), not the screw cap kind (usually clear in color).

I use a couple growlers in addition to 12 oz bottles, its nice to have variety, and its a real party pleaser.

Swing top growlers might work better than screw caps, but it's kind of the opposite purpose than the original growler intent.

Full disclosure- I've never used those swing top growlers and I very well may be full of crap.

the flip top growlers are rated for pressure (usually come brown in color), not the screw cap kind (usually clear in color).

I use a couple growlers in addition to 12 oz bottles, its nice to have variety, and its a real party pleaser.

Beat me to it :)

I've used swing-top growlers to bottle condition quite a few of my batches. They work wonderfully and it's nice to take one bottle to a party or game night instead of a six-pack. However you do need to finish them in one sitting, and the best approach is to pour the whole thing into a pitcher before serving. Otherwise the last pint will be full of yeast.

+1 for 22/24oz bombers. When I do bottle I like to fill up about 6 of those. They are great when you have a friend over and want to sample with 1 beer each. Plus, you only have to clean one bottle. Just make sure to watch the sediment.

Back