Frozen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgarlit

Reaction score
I just got a shipment of ingredients and two Wyeast packets are frozen! Has anyone had this happen? Do you think they are pretty much dead?

Thanks

I've not used Wyeast before, but are these packets of liquid yeast? (as opposed to the vials from White Labs I am used to). I assume it's liquid, and personally wouldn't use them unless Wyeast is smart enough to add some glycerin to the suspension liquid. Gila, I'm positive that damage has occurred. Freezing will rupture the yeast cells, your viability is likely going to be so low that a starter would take quite a while to bring it back to usable levels. If I did go the route of using them, I'd make a starter and have it go a few days then let it start to settle (so the already ruptured and dead yeast cell matter would settle) and then repitch the decanted yeast liquid to another starter, which I would again let go a few days to ensure good viability and cell density. I am also assuming you don't have a microscope to verify cell viability...

I've not used Wyeast before, but are these packets of liquid yeast? (as opposed to the vials from White Labs I am used to). I assume it's liquid, and personally wouldn't use them unless Wyeast is smart enough to add some glycerin to the suspension liquid. Gila, I'm positive that damage has occurred. Freezing will rupture the yeast cells, your viability is likely going to be so low that a starter would take quite a while to bring it back to usable levels. If I did go the route of using them, I'd make a starter and have it go a few days then let it start to settle (so the already ruptured and dead yeast cell matter would settle) and then repitch the decanted yeast liquid to another starter, which I would again let go a few days to ensure good viability and cell density. I am also assuming you don't have a microscope to verify cell viability...

Yes. I know but, stranger things have happened. the real question is how much damage has taken place and if any viable yeast survived to colonize.

Is it possible for dry yeast to freeze and die? I recently bought two kits. I have brewed one and rehydrated my dry yeast and pitched it. Over 48 hours later no signs of fermentation. So I opened a second pack of Munton's rehydrated it and added it (thinking that perhaps the first pack was bunk. Now over 24 hours later still no fermentation visible in the airlock or upon visual inspection of the fermenter. The extract kits (with yeast packets inside) travelled through the Midwest cold snap (-5 to 15* F) from Minneapolis to KC. Could dry yeast have been killed by the cold???

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Is it possible for dry yeast to freeze and die? I recently bought two kits. I have brewed one and rehydrated my dry yeast and pitched it. Over 48 hours later no signs of fermentation. So I opened a second pack of Munton's rehydrated it and added it (thinking that perhaps the first pack was bunk. Now over 24 hours later still no fermentation visible in the airlock or upon visual inspection of the fermenter. The extract kits (with yeast packets inside) travelled through the Midwest cold snap (-5 to 15* F) from Minneapolis to KC. Could dry yeast have been killed by the cold???

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dry yeast would be fine is frozen, as its basically freeze dried when you get it (goes through a process called lyophilisation). There isn't any extraneous water in the cells to fracture them.

This info is straight from the Wyeast FAQ page

" 17. What should you do if the yeast is frozen?

Thaw out in fridge. Activate and assess the time that it takes to swell. If there is no activation within 24 hrs, do not use. If there is activation, make a starter to revive culture."

Back