Fruit Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonecold_OM

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a mango wheat. Question is about the mango puree...what do you all use? Has anyone had luck making their own rather than buying it? I feel like a 5lb bag of frozen mango is a lot cheaper than buying a puree. Is there any reason to not buy frozen then blend it into a smooth puree and then use it?

I’ve used frozen mango chunks in the past. I mush then slight then add to the fermenter. Good be been pleased with the results.

Being intrinsically "thrifty" I prefer making my own puree from frozen fruit. If one has a Cuisinart it's pretty easy to turn berries or fruit chunks into a smooth puree. Depending on which fruit you can also add pectinase enzyme to increase yield while you're pasteurizing the puree (145°F for 30 minutes will do it)...

Cheers!

I’ve used frozen mango chunks in the past. I mush then slight then add to the fermenter. Good be been pleased with the results.
Do you do you add them at the beginning of fermentation or the end? Do anything else other than mush them?

Being intrinsically "thrifty" I prefer making my own puree from frozen fruit. If one has a Cuisinart it's pretty easy to turn berries or fruit chunks into a smooth puree. Depending on which fruit you can also add pectinase enzyme to increase yield while you're pasteurizing the puree (145°F for 30 minutes will do it)...

Cheers!
Pasteurization is needed? Just put in a pot and heat up at that temp and time?

Cuisinart thoroughly, put into pot, add Pectinase enzyme if berries (not needed for chunky fruit like mango, etc), bring to 145°F for 30 minutes, then cool before adding to a fresh carboy and racking the beer on top...

Cheers!

Cuisinart thoroughly, put into pot, add Pectinase enzyme if berries (not needed for chunky fruit like mango, etc), bring to 145°F for 30 minutes, then cool before adding to a fresh carboy and racking the beer on top...

Cheers!
Thank you. I will do that. I appreciate the advice!

I have a solera barrel that was just emptied. Got 4-5 gal fermenters with Pear, sour cherry.raspberry,and blood orange.
Amoretti artisan natural flavoring. They got 4.5-5 star s for Tastes like REAL fruit. 100% fermentable no sludge.
I found this after doing a frozen peach puree where I tossed 2 gallons of sludge.
Here's the best part, 15$ ea. , twist off the cap, mix with warm water and pour. It treats 7-10 gal,and I put all of it in 5 gal.

Do you do you add them at the beginning of fermentation or the end? Do anything else other than mush them?
Either is an option. I typically add fruit somewhere around mid-fermentation. In theory, adding it at the beginning can push out aroma compounds with CO2 as fermentation happens. Adding after fermentation introduces O2. Therefore, mid-fermentation finds a balance between those two factors.

I use juice concentrates instead of purée (mango) and have been very happy with the results. It can be pricey, but is pasteurized and can be added mid-fermentation (no infections yet!)

My mango beers tend to end up pretty hazy. Pectinase may help with that.

Btw, Citra pairs beautifully with mango.

There is indeed some benefit to be had wrt both enhanced extract and clarity with the use of pectinase with "chunky" fruit like mango. It may not be as profound as when used with berries with their bazillions of tiny peels to break down, which is why I use it, but still there is cellular structure that will give up more juice along with reducing pectin haze...

Cheers!

Won't freezing kill any nasties? As well as break down the fruit pretty much?
Nope, some perhaps but not all.
This was after adding frozen strawberries mushed in the bag before opening to add.
IMG_2283.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope, some perhaps but not all.
This was after adding frozen strawberries mushed in the bag before opening to add.
yep. freezing will kill stuff like worms bugs small parasites. bacteria and yeast can be frozen and or dried and brought back to life. Now commercial flash freezing is done in hopes to eliminate potential growth not necessarily remove them completely.

molds and fungi are very resilient creatures and have been around for a long time to adapt to extremes.

Back