S-04 vs. Windsor for brown ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
Brewing a brown ale this wkend.I have a pack of each of these yeasts.I have used 04 before but never Windsor.Can anyone tell me the taste/body differences in the two?

What sort of brown? For a Northern style I would actually recommend Nottingham, but for a Southern I think Windsor would be an excellent choice.

What sort of brown? For a Northern style I would actually recommend Nottingham, but for a Southern I think Windsor would be an excellent choice.

Northern.It's a recipe from a recent BYO.The thing that i noticed was the article said that Newcastle had an increased amt. of esters from fermenting two batches and then blending them together.The recipe calls for WLP023 Burton ale or Wyeast 1084 irish ale but I like the simplicity and cost of dry.

Northern.It's a recipe from a recent BYO.The thing that i noticed was the article said that Newcastle had an increased amt. of esters from fermenting two batches and then blending them together.The recipe calls for WLP023 Burton ale or Wyeast 1084 irish ale but I like the simplicity and cost of dry.
You should be fine with dry, NE Brown is the only style I really like Nottingham in and I have been successful in competition using it. If you can't get that the S-04 would be the better choice of the two you listed, Windsor would not go dry enough.

US-05 would just attenuate too far.

I would pick S-04 over Windsor every time just because it flocculates so well.

Windsor attenuates less than S-04, so it is less suited to the dry Northern browns.

Back