Cellaring Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesooohoppy

Reaction score
Hello,

i will be starting home brewing soon, so i figured i would make an account here. But currently, i actually have some questions about cellaring.

I keep my beers in my closet in boxes, the house temp is usually 70-75. I read that Belgians and quads like the additional temp, but the others not so much (my cellar consists of almost all imp stouts). How bad is this for long term storage? the more i read, the more i worry. I started at the beginning of this year, so i dont think im too deep in doo-doo yet.

I have a small fridge that i currently keep for my 'brews on deck', but i have been thinking about changing that to my cellar and just keeping a couple of brews in the main fridge.

thanks in advance for the help.

The commonly accepted best practice is storage between 50-60F.

At temperatures above this, you risk shortening the life-span of the beer. However, since taste is subjective, maybe you would prefer the flavors in a 1.5year old beer that was at 75F over a 1.5 year old beer that was at 55F. Hard to say.

thank you for the help. i agree about taste being subjective, but i think i would like to do it the 'right way'.

i think i just answered my own question :)
now i dread the day when i run out of room in the fridge.

I've heard of collectors keeping homebrew and special other beers for 10, even 15 years, but at regular refrigerator temps, using a walk in type cooler.
I think its good to drink hoppy beers within a few months, the beer itself can still be good, but the hop flavors and bitterness tends to drop out over time.

I will never live to know, as I've never had a batch of beer last longer than a couple months at the very most, between me, friends, and occasional family :)

Agreed, hard to do, but give it a try sometime. I give bottles to a family member who doesn't drink. Out of sight, out of mind.

It kind of depends on how long you age them. A big beer might be fine at 70 for 2 years. Or it might be not great in 3 years. Just depends on the beer's ingredients, how good your process is, the actual average temp, and your personal tastes.

And FWIW Belgians are sometimes FERMENTED warmer. That doesn't mean they benefit from being stored warmer, any more than any other beer of similar gravity and ingredients.

Agreed, hard to do, but give it a try sometime. I give bottles to a family member who doesn't drink. Out of sight, out of mind.
Actually, I have developed the patience the last few years.....by making mead - forces you to let it age...the "problem" is, I only make meads, nowadays, perhaps I'll have to brew a decently big beer and let it sit. Now, if only I had an open fermentor LOL - I have approx 31 gallons of mead sitting around bulk aging, not to count those already bottled and living in the dark :)

Back