Checking krausen in a plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
Newbie question...

I am brewing my first batch this week - extract plus bittering hops - and will be using a two-stage fermentation. The primary fermenter is the common 7 gallon plastic bucket w/airlock and valve, part of a home brew kit.

I understand that I should move it from this primary fermenter to the secondary (a 5 gal carboy) when the krausen begins to shrink (or as others note, perhaps when it is gone).

The plastic bucket is, as you would imagine, translucent, so I need to open the lid to check the krausen. Assuming I do this fairly quickly, are there any issues with this? I just want to ensure that the wort/beer remains sanitized.

Thanks!

Rather than pulling the lid, you could just pull the cork/airlock and look in...much less risk that way.

Thor, I don't have an airlock on my primary - just a loose fitting overhang lid. I pop it once a day after about the third day, to see what's going on. What I get is a big faceful of C02 so I'm not worried about aerating the beer, and I don't really take the lid off, so I'm not worried about contamination. I've tried to listen to the thing, but I can't tell a damn thing from that alone.

Relax. If it goes in clean, it'll stay clean if you're reasonably careful.

Conversely, a guy could just put the stuff in to ferment, and check in 7 days.

The thing is, you've got a big layer of C02 on top of the beer... that positive pressure is your friend this week.

Latest posts

Back