Chipped threads on growlers when opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead209

Reaction score
So I dont know if I just had a bad batch of bottles or this is a common issue, but out of 12- 64 oz growlers I used to bottle a bunch of cider I had 4 break off a chip of the threads when opening (sealed tight w/metal lids)/ BTW did not have any issues with the 12 growlers that had plastic caps.

Um.... are you intending to carbonate in those growlers? Because those are definitely not rated for pressure. You might be getting some apple-flavor bottle bombs.

Growlers are meant for the transport of already carbonated (or still) beverages. But if you've chipped the threads I'd say use them to make starters.

I know growlers are not rated for as high of pressure, but the cider is carbed on the low side. Mainly i was curious about the metal caps being ruff on the bottles, and just to throw it out there the owner of my lhbs advised me in the decades of brewing he has not had a growler bomb as long as priming amounts are kept in check. Sounds like a side by side pressure testing might be interesting.

Latest posts

Back