Blichmann conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones1948

Reaction score
First batch of Ale in Blichmann conical was difficult because I did not attempt dumping trub until I was ready for secondary fermentation. The Trub was so thick (the consistency of mason's mortor) it would not dump so I had to decant the wort into a carboy for secondary fermentation.

Am about to begin a Schwartzbier at ~55 degrees. How soon after I pitch yeast should I begin dumping trub to prevent excess accumulation and concretion of it? Also, since lager yeast is a "bottom fermenter" I fear there may be a danger of dumping yeast. It is reasonable there will be yeast suspended throughout the 5.5 gallons of wort but lager yeast being a "bottom fermenter" one can presume the bulk of the yeast will be near the bottom of the wort? Is there a color distinction between the trub gunk and dead yeast and live yeast?

Thanks in advance.

Bones

I'm going to take a shot at this because we use 7bbl conical fermenters at my work. When collecting yeast from the bottom we will purge the first of the trub and it's typically like a big ol poop and we don't use that. Once that passes we will collect whatever generation yeast and save it. Like a half gallon's volume? As far as a color indication I haven't a clue. However, when it turns from a solid into a liquid culture is a good a time as any to collect it. And I would collect it before you are going to rack it into whatever serving vessel or secondary you plan to use.

Thanks for the info. How do you store the retrieved yeast? Obviously in a sterilized container in a 'fridge but do you add some sort of media for the bugs to eat while in storage?

Bones

Latest posts

Back