Clarity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andylegate

Reaction score
I know that you can add Irish Moss, Gypsum, etc, to your wort while it is boiling to help give your ale clarity. Is there anything that you can add to it during Secondary to help aid the clarity of your batch?

There are a number of products called finings as a group. Polyclar, isinglass are two.

Cool. Was wondering about that.
The Chocolate Cherry I brewed on Saturday has had it's activity slowed down quite a bit. I made a new lid for that fermentor and changed it out last night. I sampled a sip of it and it cracked me up. This ain't beer! It's a Alcoholic Yahoo! 'sOkay though, I'm going to see it through the end. Wife loves chocolate and chocolate liquers. Even though she's the main beer drinker, I think I'll let her have this batch!
The Carmel Cream is burbbling along. I brewed it on Monday. Still most likely going to be too sweet for me.
My next "Ale" I want to make I want to be amber in color, with a nice crisp, nutty taste. Any suggestions?

Oh yah, had another question: When using liquid extracts, will it produce as much trub as DME's? There's like hardly any trub in the Chocolate Cherry batch, compared to the Brewnet Brown I made, which used DME's and had about 3/4 of an inch of trub.

Trub is a combination of Protein , Mannins(cabohydrate chains), hops and spices, and Yeast.

Take a look at your Yeast flocculation rating. Different yeasts produce more trub, but it is also affected by the beer ingredients. If the yeast flocculates early, then I tend to see more trub than yeasts that flocculate late.

You asked if LME and DME differ in their trub making abilities.....No. Although under or over boiling wort can affect the size of trub.

Just as an FYI, gypsum isn't used as a clarifying agent, it changes the Ph of the water (not all that important unless you are mashing, having water that is really out of balance, or are trying to achieve a particular water profile).

Cool info guys, thanks. My water comes straight out of the ground. Here in Aiken county we sit on one of North America's largest underground lakes. The water is sparkling clear and tastes great.

Why keg when bottling gives me a GREAT excuise for going out and buying more beer to drink????? LOL !
Actually I'm working myself up gradually, and learning. So just bottling is fine for now. (working myself up slowly? With THREE batchs brewing after my first kit? Oh yah, I didn't get addicted at all........now excuise me, I have to check my air locks and read the brews a bed time story.)

Back