Simple Oversights

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryWendel

Reaction score
I planned on a big homebrew related weekend. I built an immersion chiller. Just got done with a 15 gallon Rubbermaid cooler into mash tun conversion. And attempted to cut the top off a keg so I could have my very own keggle. The Keggle failed. I underestimated the difficulty to make a curved cut in stainless steel using a sawzall. Yeah. So I'm using a 8 gallon pot (watch out spill over).

Whatever. I can make do. So I get myself two recipes to brew. An Oatmeal Stout and a Nut Brown Ale. Go to the local brew store and get the ingredients. Well, both my recipes were on one sheet of paper and each were using different yeast. One a liquid and one dry. So when the guy finished milling the grains he wrote which bag used which yeast. Great, it'll help me remember... NOT! I lose the sheet of paper I wrote the recipes on and I didn't copy them from any website. So I had no clue which bag of grains were for which recipe.

Yesterday I started what I thought to be the Nut Brown. Hmm, this looks a little dark for a brown ale." I say to myself. But I ignored it. Finished that up no problem and used the yeast that the bag said it needed.

Today I started what I thought was the Oatmeal. Hmm, this looks a little brown and smells a little nuttier than I would imagine. I put two and two together and realize the mistake.

So the Oatmeal Stout was brewed on Saturday (without the flaked oats; as it was bagged separately) and the Nut Brown is being brewed as we speak (with the flaked oats). I ended up putting Kent Goldings in the Stout and Glacier in the Nut Brown, both at 60 and nothing else.

Overall I don't think the mistake was all that great except my Nut Brown will have a oatmeal taste (and a great head) while the Oatmeal Stout is just a Stout (which ended up a little heavy with 1.049 OG).

Both will be drinkable. As simple mistakes go, there are plenty you can make that will render a beer undrinkable. These could/probably will both turn out great, though they will not conform to a particular style you were intending.

As for the yeasts I've seen Wyeast London used for both NB and Oatmeal or Sweet Stouts, so you should be ok there.

Latest posts

Back