The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave a bomber of my 09 Barleywine 18% to a guy at work who drinks a pretty wide range he said he prefers malty vs. hoppy ones so thought he might enjoy. He say next day "Yea six of us did that beer as shots mixed with vodka" Uhm ok no more for you:(

That's retarded! Send me some. I will thoroughly enjoy it as it should be.

Gave a bomber of my 09 Barleywine 18% to a guy at work who drinks a pretty wide range he said he prefers malty vs. hoppy ones so thought he might enjoy. He say next day "Yea six of us did that beer as shots mixed with vodka" Uhm ok no more for you:(
That's enough to make me rethink my opposition to the death penalty....

Ran into this same situation in a bar in the Philippines. In that instance, Mojo was the culprit. Found out when I tried to stand to go to the head. Papason had to hold me up by the armpits.
I have lots of 40+ year old memories from the Philippines - and one pretty good scar on my arm, from a butterfly knife wielded by my favorite girl at the Bar Mary in Olongopo City. I'm pretty sure she was aiming for my face, but I was moving too fast. :p

Another beer I do is a bit of a High Life clone
uses a grain and flaked corn, low hops
comes out very golden and refreshing, but not what you expect from a home brew at all
funny thing is, it goes like mad at parties, and I mean regualr parties and home brew parties.
usually one of the first kegs emptied.

And guys tell me they do not drink American style beers because they have no taste.

You know, I cannot figure it out. I love the German lagers, the English ales, scotch Ale, trappist beers, I just love beer. I cannot figure out how someone would grab a Asahi, quaff it down, say "damn that was good" and then pick up a IPA and tell everyone Americans brew **** beer.

People just spout off bullschlitz without any kind of knowledge. Just because they have taste buds, doesn't mean they have an educated pallet.

I too, make Miller, although Lite, as a homebrew and yes it's always the first to kick dry. Both BMC'rs and brewers like it because its light crisp and triple hopped for real. See my pull down for the recipe.

Garrett Oliver says it best. "Imagine a life where you have only had wonder bread." That's the American beer drinking populace. They say sourdough, rye and pumpernickel sucks because they have a wonder bread standard to what is good bread. So, anything not light, yellow and fizzy sucks to them. Wonderbeer is their standard!

Ironically, the hardest beer to make is light beer, so any decent home brewer should know better not to slam on somebody making a light beer. It's not forgiving on mistakes, any off taste from a mistake stands out front.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

People just spout off bullschlitz without any kind of knowledge. Just because they have taste buds, doesn't mean they have an educated pallet.

I too, make Miller, although Lite, as a homebrew and yes it's always the first to kick dry. Both BMC'rs and brewers like it because its light crisp and triple hopped for real. See my pull down for the recipe.

Garrett Oliver says it best. "Imagine a life where you have only had wonder bread." That's the American beer drinking populace. They say sourdough, rye and pumpernickel sucks because they have a wonder bread standard to what is good bread. So, anything not light, yellow and fizzy sucks to them. Wonderbeer is their standard!

Ironically, the hardest beer to make is light beer, so any decent home brewer should know better not to slam on somebody making a light beer. It's not forgiving on mistakes, any off taste from a mistake stands out front.

I must be a horrible home brewer then.

Everyone should read "A Short Course in Beer". It inspired me to explore the various types of beer. I understand why the light lager style took over America. I respect it as a style. I don't like miller lite, Budweiser, or bud light. They all give me a headache. I like leinenkugel lager, and coors banquet. They don't give me a headache. I don't make a light lager style beer personally because it's so cheap to buy, and so easy to drink, I can't compete. It's cheaper and easier to just buy it, then make my more flavorful beers myself.

I have to agree about making light beers, the entire reason I first tried to make one was because a professional brewer who works for Miller told me that if I thought I was good, try making a beer that you have nothing to hide behind. (I was building a house for him and we would talk a bit in the afternoons.)

After my first attempt, I realized I needed to step up my game.
most Ales are easy, you make a bit of a mistake and it is hidden by the fruity esters or the high hops schedules. But screw up a bit on a American style lager, or a American style light lager, and you know you need to improve your game.

I must be a horrible home brewer then.

That's not what I meant......

........More specifically, stated.... The challenge of making a light beer without flaws or variation in taste, color or aroma over and over again is difficult. Thinking an experienced brewer knows this.

Generally speaking if one doesn't like a light pilsner or its not one's style preference, then it doesn't warrant harsh criticism.

I don't like Berliner Weiss. I don't like the style. But I would not critique the beer since I really don't like the taste.
If I did, I would look like an idiot in front of people who geek out on Weiss. Hence, this whole thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, most home brewers despise the macro beer business more so than the beer. Prohibition and then large monopolies killed the micro brewery business the early half of last century. More recently the aggressive actions of distributors trying to push out the small guy. I dislike the distributors more than anything else.

[...]Correct me if I'm wrong here, most home brewers despise the macro beer business more so than the beer.[...]

I suspect "despise" would be way too strong for most HBers opinion on the matter. For me, I simply have no use for the product, and am definitely not a fan of the producers.

Nobody cares a lick about ^that...

Cheers!

Yeah, and kimchi may be the product of thousands of years of tradition, but like just like american light lager, it tastes like crap. Respect for skill or what have you won't stop me from saying it.

........More specifically, stated.... The challenge of making a light beer without flaws or variation in taste, color or aroma over and over again is difficult. Thinking an experienced brewer knows this.

Generally speaking if one doesn't like a light pilsner or its not one's style preference, then it doesn't warrant harsh criticism.

I don't like Berliner Weiss. I don't like the style. But I would not critique the beer since I really don't like the taste.
If I did, I would look like an idiot in front of people who geek out on Weiss. Hence, this whole thread.

And I don't chow down on dog ****. But I will openly critique any dog **** varietal you place in front of me.

Your argument appears to be that just because I'm not experienced in something means I'm unable to pass judgment. Or as the five year old of yourself would know the concept, "dont knock it until you try it."

Correct me if I'm wrong here, most home brewers despise the macro beer business more so than the beer. Prohibition and then large monopolies killed the micro brewery business the early half of last century. More recently the aggressive actions of distributors trying to push out the small guy. I dislike the distributors more than anything else.

You're wrong. Most brewers have nothing against making money. We all wish we could some doing this.

What I have a problem with is them selling it under the guise of being the best beer available. The style is nothing more than the byproduct of conservation during wartime. Their product is by no means the pinnacle of quality, taste and flavor that they sell it to the sheeple as.

I respect that their engineers can devise systems capable of reproducing the same product countless times. Nothing more, nothing less.

I truly believe that they brewers at AB-Inbev and Miller-Coors are some of the most talented brewers in the world.

With computers to do EVERYTHING from temperature controls, automated ratio calculated within a .005% on hops, grain, and water. That's like saying McDonald's has the best chef's based on sales and repeatable product.

This truly belongs in this thread;)

And I don't chow down on dog ****. But I will openly critique any dog **** varietal you place in front of me.

Your argument appears to be that just because I'm not experienced in something means I'm unable to pass judgment. Or as the five year old of yourself would know the concept, "dont knock it until you try it."

You're wrong. Most brewers have nothing against making money. We all wish we could some doing this.

What I have a problem with is them selling it under the guise of being the best beer available. The style is nothing more than the byproduct of conservation during wartime. Their product is by no means the pinnacle of quality, taste and flavor that they sell it to the sheeple as.

I respect that their engineers can devise systems capable of reproducing the same product countless times. Nothing more, nothing less.

You completely missed the point, if you have little to no knowledge about something then your opinion is of little value.

My comment about one disliking macro brewery business is broad. But I was thinking mainly about advertising and the control that distributors have on moving product.

Originally, I was talking about brewing my own version of light beer. I did so because I hated the triple hopped b.s.on the commercials. I made a triple hopped cascade version. It's was a good lawn mower beer.

I have to agree about making light beers, the entire reason I first tried to make one was because a professional brewer who works for Miller told me that if I thought I was good, try making a beer that you have nothing to hide behind. (I was building a house for him and we would talk a bit in the afternoons.)

After my first attempt, I realized I needed to step up my game.
most Ales are easy, you make a bit of a mistake and it is hidden by the fruity esters or the high hops schedules. But screw up a bit on a American style lager, or a American style light lager, and you know you need to improve your game.

Exactly, to my point.

Yeah, and kimchi may be the product of thousands of years of tradition, but like just like american light lager, it tastes like crap. Respect for skill or what have you won't stop me from saying it.

As a point of reference, when's the last time you tasted crap?

What convinced you to actually taste it, wouldn't the smell be bad enough?

I shared four home brews this Xmas.

Cranberry Wheat, Dirty Blonde, my Red Zinfandel and my Jasmine Mead.

The beers had little to no comments. They were both served on my jockey box. People commented on the jockey box more so than the beer.

The cranberry wheat has a tart cranberry taste. My SIL said it tasted fresher than the dirty blonde. I think she meant more refreshing they were brewed a day apart. The dirty blonde is reddish brown, 20 IBU 8.5% ABV ale.

Both zinfandel and mead were disliked.

My MIL said the zinfandel was bitter. In my opinion it's a standard red zinfandel. It's dry, but just to the right point. My MIL doesn't really drink except during the holidays. Imagine that....

SWMBO said the jasmine mead tasted like alcohol. What the hell does she know....

It tastes like clover.

With computers to do EVERYTHING from temperature controls, automated ratio calculated within a .005% on hops, grain, and water. That's like saying McDonald's has the best chef's based on sales and repeatable product.

So you are saying that anyone who has an automated brewing system could pump out 5 billion gallons of beer that is identical from batch to batch?

So you are saying that anyone who has an automated brewing system could pump out 5 billion gallons of beer that is identical from batch to batch?

I'd say no. Unless you attempt control everything. No matter how insignficant to what we do in brewing.

• The grain grind, average size, actual weight used, and maybe the maltster process especially any kiln work.
  • Water distilled with right salts added every time
  • Hops with the same variety and acids percentage. Means working with the hop growers
  • The same yeast strain, probably re-pitched every batch.
  • Fermentation temps controlled within fractions of degrees.

It would be easier to maintain the illusion of consistency by blending from batch to batch

Yes, "IF" said rig is capable of producing 5 billion gallons. The process the larger breweries use is what makes the beer. Most homebrew rigs don't have micro processors to control every aspect from grain to bottle/keg. You take a Master brewer and give him a pot and burner and think he could make an indistinguishable beer from what the brewery makes? We try to control as much as we can within reason. But water samples ppg. every 100 gallons off of a RO system, grains, hops, etc. controlled to the 10th of a gram. Mash, boil, fermenting, and brite tanks all computerized to hold within less then a 1/2 a degree. Yeast rates pitched at ppm. Imagine that you would have a hard time reproducing your recipe with that much control. It's the control that changes our beer. My beer has improved over and over again as I gain more control over water chemistry, fermenting temperature, cooling down to a cold crash. That said the average homebrewer's control is still course. Our control helps to improve but to believe that even the most expensive/complex rig on this site has 1-100th of a commercial brewery your sadly mistaken my friend. :off: end of rant back to our regular program.

Way to go killing the thread, guys. Anyone know how to revive a dead horse? Its been beat pretty bad.....

The big guys don't change any thing significant. I wonder what skill they do have since they have been on auto pilot for so long. Can you imagine having that job?

"Here you are the head brewer, but don't change an effing thing."

It's like being a pilot, all you do is sit in the cockpit and let the auto pilot do everything. The only thing is you never land or take off.

I truly believe that they brewers at AB-Inbev and Miller-Coors are some of the most talented brewers in the world.
ahem. brgrgrgrrahaahhghghgmmmm. <cough> my sarcasm runs quite deep. so deep in fact, none of you have seen the other side. don't take me serious, take me with a salt lick. y'all may need the whole thing by the time I'm done. SPOOOOOON!

Going on 9 months now every time I see a person that asked for some of a blonde ale i made, "thanks so much for the beer, we haven't tried it yet"

ahem. brgrgrgrrahaahhghghgmmmm. <cough> my sarcasm runs quite deep. so deep in fact, none of you have seen the other side. don't take me serious, take me with a salt lick. y'all may need the whole thing by the time I'm done. SPOOOOOON!

I think I can pick a Billy post before looking at the name... usually!

In regards to the serious post that you commented on I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion and if that opinion is - BMC taste like crap it doesn't have any bearing on how good a brewer they are, e.g.
"Experinced" brewer that knows how hard it is to make a American light lager - BMC taste like crap and even though I can make one that rivals the likes of Bud lite I will not for the fact that I don't like the style.
"Newb" brewer that doesn't - BMC taste like crap, why would I want to make something that I think taste like crap?
Both of them a valid opinions of BMC tasting like crap and neither make the person a better/worse brewer :D

I think I can pick a Billy post before looking at the name... usually!

In regards to the serious post that you commented on I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion and if that opinion is - BMC taste like crap it doesn't have any bearing on how good a brewer they are, e.g.
"Experinced" brewer that knows how hard it is to make a American light lager - BMC taste like crap and even though I can make one that rivals the likes of Bud lite I will not for the fact that I don't like the style.
"Newb" brewer that doesn't - BMC taste like crap, why would I want to make something that I think taste like crap?
Both of them a valid opinions of BMC tasting like crap and neither make the person a better/worse brewer :D

I don't like the style either. I can, and have, made American Light Lagers. the first few batches weren't great. the others were like any other BMC. not my style.

anyone can argue all day defending ALL. but at the end of the day, I can and will mock BMC Light clones. y'all may say they're refreshing on a hot day, but then so is water. they may be difficult to brew flawlessly, but they still taste(less) like crap to me. to each their own. just don't push it on me or try to put one in my hand.

My uncle, in the most nonchalant and sincere way, told me that one of my lighter summer pale ales "tasted like a good, light, blonde ale, ...with just a little bit of piss in it."

At that point in my brewing, I still had a lot learn, and was still doing PM's and fermenting in the bathtub swamp-cooler style for temp control...but I was pretty happy with that brew overall. Good old honesty! I laughed a little every beer I had from that batch afterwards.

I don't like the style either. I can, and have, made American Light Lagers. the first few batches weren't great. the others were like any other BMC. not my style.

anyone can argue all day defending ALL. but at the end of the day, I can and will mock BMC Light clones. y'all may say they're refreshing on a hot day, but then so is water. they may be difficult to brew flawlessly, but they still taste(less) like crap to me. to each their own. just don't push it on me or try to put one in my hand.

As I see it (and this really hold true only in the US) the only real reason to brew an ALL is the challange - can you make one that does taste like BMC, i.e. little flavour with no off flavours, and that can be tough to do.
To brew it to have a ALL to drink seems pointly since you can buy it cheaper and it doesn't take up any of your bottles/kegs that can be used for something that costs more to buy than brew.

As I see it (and this really hold true only in the US) the only real reason to brew an ALL is the challange - can you make one that does taste like BMC, i.e. little flavour with no off flavours, and that can be tough to do.
To brew it to have a ALL to drink seems pointly since you can buy it cheaper and it doesn't take up any of your bottles/kegs that can be used for something that costs more to buy than brew.

I don't like being challenged with mediocrity. bwahahahhaa!!!

my first ever batch of beer that I made was supposed to be a stout. I was a cocky 20 y/o and my sanitation practices were not of the best. I was all excited the week after bottling. some of my friends were over & excited to try it as well. I popped open a bunch of bottles & carefully poured them for my friends. everyone sipped & told me, "It's really good!" then I poured one for myself. it was rancid. I spit it into the sink & exclaimed that it tasted like crap. everyone agreed. the stupid comment on that disaster is in bold.

Oh you know what crap tastes like?? You are the second person who said this in the last 24 hours.

You guys don't like BMC beers but you'll eat crap? I don't understand you guys.

Are you guys into Coprophagia or Urolagnia Its fricken nasty! :p

I let my wife's girl friend sample my Kolsh.... anyway she said it tasted like beer and water!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh you know what crap tastes like?? You are the second person who said this in the last 24 hours.

You guys don't like BMC beers but you'll eat crap? I don't understand you guys.

Are you guys into Coprophagia or Urolagnia Its fricken nasty! :p

the taste, as it were, is as undesirable as one would think feces to be. hence, "tastes like crap". discerning taste of fecal matter, it seems, is of no real concern nor issue as I have no such desire. just like BMC Lights & their clones. please pass the salt.

What the hell is BMC, it must be some really */'\÷"&#"%# stuff to justify all this argument.

Personally, I am trying homebrew for the joy of experimentation and to see if I can please myself.... particularly since I am an old married guy. Ha ha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back