Old Counterflow Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkfamilyhb

Reaction score
Hi All, nervous brewer here about to embark on my first foray into all grain. I am actually returning to brewing after a very long hiatus and I have a Counter-flow Wort Chiller that I apparently did not clean properly after its last use probably about 5 years ago, so I am wondering if I might have done some irreparable harm to it. It was blocked by crap to the point water would not flow through it, but I was able to unblock it via an air compressor and I ran a bunch of water through until the water was clear. Then I ran Star San solution through it and left the solution in the chiller for about 24 hours. The water still appears clear but I would hate to have an issue because of this chiller. Do you think I am good with what I have done to sanitize it or should I try some other stuff just to be sure? I was thinking of running 10-15 gallons boiling water through it and or even some of the boiling Star San solution (I don’t have PBW).
Thanks for the help
Ian

I know you don't have any, but PBW would be my first choice or something similar like oxyclean. The vinegar will help clean out tarnish or corrosion but if you have some nasty dried on deposits in there (which you have no way of knowing since you can't do a visual inspection) something a little more aggresive may be in order.

If you're looking to dissolve beer residue, I'd stick with the alkaline cleaners (e.g., PBW, oxyclean, etc.). If your chiller is copper, I'd avoid acids (starsan, vinegar, etc.) as they may pit/etch the inside of the chiller, causing more problems with infection in the future. Short of that, circulate boiling water, at least you'll sanitize it.

Back