SA Barrel Room Collection and 13th Hour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroomzofdoom

Reaction score
I had occasion to visit the SA brewery tour yesterday while in Boston.

They were selling 3 packs of the Barrel Room collection for $30. All are sold in 750ml bottles.
http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/barrel-room.aspx

While on the tour the guide also mentioned their new Thirteenth Hour, and that they had JUST started selling this yesterday.

Here's what they look like and their descriptions. I may cellar all but the Kriek for a while and try them out on special occasions; or I may just bust em out during the next football party.

Thirteenth Hour: Not technically part of 'Barrel Room Collection' but also aged in Oak Barrels. Described as a dark Belgian style stout with notes of spice, coffee, chocolate, and oak.

American Kriek:

The intense black cherry character in this beer comes from Balaton®* cherries, which were discovered in Hungary and are now grown in Michigan. These special cherries are prized for their depth of flavor. The tartness from the cherries is balanced by a rich, malty character with toasted oak notes added from the barrel aging.

New World Tripel:
Pale gold in color, this ale is big, flavorful and complex. A special Belgian yeast strain adds tropical fruit and spice notes to the crisp dry ale, while Saaz hops add a subtle herbal note.

Stony Brook Red:
This unique brew defies traditional beer style definition. The rich, malty brew combines notes of tart fruit from the yeast with a toasty oak character from the barrel aging. The long dry finish is almost wine-like. This is a beer that is satisfying on its own and also pairs well with many foods such as braised or roasted meats, beef stews and strong salty cheeses.

Curious if anyone has tried these yet and what they think?

I've had the barrel room collection a few times and the Tripel is my favorite. The other two are not styles that I actively enjoy but they are good enough to drink the whole bottle. I am excited about the 13th Hour, it sounds great. I'll have to see if my brother can pick up a bottle for me since he lives in Boston.

Back