Quick Mead (Open source Groennfell Mead modification)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Updated with more experience from previous post in September of 2017. Very similar to other recipes on this forum. (With a nod to Bernardsmith for the inspiration)

Yeast Pitch to Glass 21-30 days. (To date 12-13-19 have made 6 - 5 gallon batches)

OG 1.055 - FG 1.005 = 0.050 X 131.25 = 6.5 ABV.

Ingredients:
5-6 lbs (½ Gallon) Dark Honey: Baker's Special (Any honey will do)
2 Gallons Spring Water
2 Gallon Tart Cherry Juice (Or Juice of your choice)
12 g Fermaid-O (3tsp)
1 or 2 packs Omega Hothead liquid yeast (I used 2 on my last batch as one was pretty old, no ill effects and fermented to 1.010 in 4 days)
(Yeast is specific to this recipe as other yeasts will not do well at 88F - Groennfell recommends D47 and degassing to remove H2S smell. Degassing is not needed with this yeast.)
Optional - I did all of them
1.5 tsp Potassium Carbonate
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme (Used as the juice i used was hazy)
KC Super Kleer or clarifying agent of your choice.
1oz Med toast Oak
1oz pure vanilla extract.
Acid blend to taste.

Combined the Juice honey & Water at room temp to a 6 Gal Big Mouth Bubbler (BMB)
- Added 1.5 tsp Potassium Carbonate (Optional)
- Stirred 5 minutes vigorously to aerate with a lees stirrer and drill.
- SG (OG) = 1.055 to 1.065 (depends upon the juice and amount of honey used)
- Brought the yeast to room temp by letting it set on the kitchen counter for 3 hours then added. (Rinsed the yeast packet with must)
- Weighed out 12 grams Fermaid-O (Added it to a small amount of must and pitched it all in.)

Fermented at 88°F (31°C). Used a heat blanket and temp controller affixed with blue painters tape and wrapped in a beach towel. LOTS of Krausen = 1-3” - No H2S or Rino farts and no fusels or sulfur flavors throughout.

Check it at 18 & 36 HRS after Yeast Pitch to ensure everything is moving along well - No additional nutrients and no need to stir or release CO2. (Just let it go.)

5-8 Days after yeast pitch - Target SG 1.010. Rack off lees to a 5 Gal Carboy and remove the heat blanket and towel.

12 Days after Yeast Pitch - Add Pectic Enzyme (if needed), Clarified by cold crashing and using KC Super Kleer. (Or your clarifier of choice.) Add 1oz of Med toast Oak and 1oz pure vanilla extract if you choose. Acid to taste 1/2 tsp.

20-30 days after yeast pitch - Racked from lees

21- 30 days after yeast pitch – Force carbonated using a keg. (Certainly could bottle carbonate but be sure to account for the residual sugar if not at 1.000.)

Tastes amazingly good for being this young. Acid to taste and carbonating improves the taste dramatically. Age does help, 2 - 4 months.

Reference Ricky's recipes @ Groennfell
https://www.groennfell.com/recipes

Last edited:
How do you keep such a high fg? I see no unfermentbles and the yeast should rip through all of the honey without being stabilised.

Pull the heat and rack at 1.010. Cold crash after a few days of letting it "clean up" with KC super kleer and really careful when racking really slows this yeast down. Again, not too concerned about the FG as I refrigerate, keg and force carb it. (Does most often stop or as near as i can tell mostly stop right about 1.005 sometimes a little less but is likely less to do with the yeast giving up and more due to clarifying and cold crashing.)

Pull the heat and rack at 1.010. Cold crash after a few days of letting it "clean up" with KC super kleer and really careful when racking really slows this yeast down. Again, not too concerned about the FG as I refrigerate, keg and force carb it. (Does most often stop or as near as i can tell mostly stop right about 1.005 sometimes a little less but is likely less to do with the yeast giving up and more due to clarifying and cold crashing.)
Ok, so more of a short term solution. But I guess if it's meant to be drunken quickly that does not really matter.

I was wondering about the residual sugars myself... I wouldn’t think the yeast would stop at 8%. Without using stabilizers, I have to push my batches to 16% to choke out the yeast and leave any sugar behind for me.

Latest posts

Back