mr beer first timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsnutz

Reaction score
I tasted my pale ale after 1 week of fermentation and it tasted fine (as good as flat beer can be) . I then bottled it into 22 oz bottles with 1 1/2 tsp of corn sugar, waited a week like a website suggested and it was not very carbonated but tasted very sweet..... should i let it sit longer or is the batch already messed up

You need to wait, a week is not long enough. You should wait another couple weeks then put in the fridge for at least 48 hrs before testing.

First, congrats on begining your journey with Mr. Beer! Hope you are enjoying this great hobby.

Fermenting for one week is not long enough. In the future you may want to go a minimum of two weeks and as smalltownbrewer says, let the beer sit for a few weeks to carbonate after bottling.

Cheers!

Agree with the above posts, I also started with a Mr Beer and a week in the bottles isn't nearly enough. Ideally, 2-3 weeks in the keg and then 3 or more weeks in bottles at 70f before chilling an drinking. Welcome to the board and obsession! :mug:

Hi Dznuts, I'm new and just a few weeks ahead of you with Mr. Beer and I experienced a similar situation. Mine was fully carbonated after 10-12 days but it still tasted like a sweet apple cider (green apple) taste, with a beer flavor behind it.

I waited another 5 days to crack open another and it was significantly better than the first but I'm still going to give it more time. Impatience has been my biggest enemy and although the 2 week beer is drinkable (almost), the 5-6 week Mr. Beer is something you'd want to share with friends.

If you're really interested in having a steady supply of your homebrew you can be patient with start looking on craigslist for a carboy/fermentor/more bottles so you can let them sit.

My best luck with Mr. Beer has been
-Keep it Clean!
- 2-3 weeks fermentor
- Use slightly less sugar than recommended for priming.
- 2 weeks Carbonating
- 3 days to 1 week in fridge
All these are minimums and another week at any step will not hurt. Also I've found if your sweet beer starts tasting sour you need to make sure your temperature is consistent and not to high!

Good Luck, and like I said if you have a patience issue like most of us beginners invest in another fermentor and in a few weeks you won't ever have to worry again. Also buy a hydrometer, it's 6 bucks and could save you six weeks of beer.

I'm currently brewing 23 liters of draught beer. For carbonation, I've been instructed to dissolve 200 grams (approximately 1.5 cups) dextrose sugar into one cup of boiling water and siphon the beer from the carboy into the sugar mixture. Then siphon into individual bottles, cap them and leave them in a warm, dry place for at least two weeks.

Thanks to all replies. I will give that a try for sure. I have a buddy that got me into this hobby and we made a 5 gallon batch about 2 weeks ago and put it in a keg with co2 to carbonate a lil faster... it turned out good so I will be able to have some patients since we have this batch to last till the Mr beer is complete... again thanks to all and good luck

Back