Chest freezer - good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hegh

Reaction score
I am looking at a 5 year old 13 cubic foot Electrolux chest freezer through a Craigslist posting. It has some minor rust on the outside. I have not yet seen the inside. The seller is asking $90, does this sound like a good deal?

I suggested that I would prefer to pay around $65 due to the age and the rust spots, and she responded simply with "I am not willing to go that low in the price. The unit is in working condition."

Obviously I need to see it before I actually agree to buy it, partially to check for rust inside, and partially to make sure it actually works (I asked her to plug it in a couple hours before I arrive). I'm going to bring along a keg to see approximately how many I can fit inside, but based on the dimensions she gave me, I should be able to fit seven without even adding a collar.

Play hard ball with her. Stay where you are at $65. She will come around eventually.

I did the same thing with someone selling a chest freezer on craigslist. It was smaller and they were asking $75. I offered $50 and they didn't like that. So I emailed back and what do you know? It was sold :(

Still looking for the right deal!

I'll try again when I go to see it tomorrow, basing my offer on the state of the thing. Rust on the outside I'm not so worried about, it's just a cosmetic issue. If there's any on the inside, though... Immediate drop of like $15-$20 since I'd need to use some Rust Doctor (I saw your pictures Joe C, that stuff looks awesome).

I just bought if for $75. The rust in only on the front, because the woman who owned it kept it in her garage (salt water dripping off of her car, I guess). It's from 2004, a Fridgedaire model (not sure why she told me Electrolux before). Looks like I can fit 6-9 kegs in there, once I actually buy them (I've got one now, but not all the equipment I need to hook it up). I'll post pictures tomorrow night, probably.

I think so too. I just wish I had the funds (or SWMBO's approval to use family money) to make this into an epic build thread...

Latest posts

Back