Flavour of phosphate from acidifying with phosphoric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
I recently listened to a Brew Strong podcast focused on euro-waters. When Bavarian water was discussed, one of the speakers mentioned that when he switched from acidifying with lactic to phosphoric, he did not like the taste phosphoric imparted. I believe he mentioned this in the context of brewing a Bavarian style beer, however it got me thinking:

I am acidifying fairly alkaline (250ppm) strike and sparge water exclusively using phosphoric.
What flavour impacts should I expect?

Phosphoric acid tends to be a relatively flavor-neutral acid compared to lactic. However, lactic acid is a characteristic ingredient in German brewing due to Rheinheitsgebot requirements. Using phosphoric in a German beer is likely to alter the flavor even though the resulting pH's were identical. Some of the flavor may be due to the fact that lactate is actually a yeast nutrient and who knows what the yeast might do with it during its metabolism.

By the way, this whole issue with German styles needing to use lactic acid may have arisen from a Brew Strong interview I gave a few years ago. Lactic acid has its place in brewing...as can phosphoric acid.

Thank you for your reply Martin.
That interview was very insightful.
I am still years behind catching on articles an podcasts.

It will be extremely instructive if you go to your LHBS and get small amounts of lactic, malic, tartaric and citric acids. Then dissolve some bicarb in a volume of water, divide it into several glasses and bring the pH to 5.2 in each using a different acid. Now get your family members or friends to rank the glasses in order from least sour to most and when they have done so taste them yourself.

Back