forgotten fermenter of RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwkblue

Reaction score
I was cleaning out a closet full of brewing supplies to prepare for a brew day. @ years ago I started a new job, and I've been unable to brew.

I forgot I had a full fermenter of a Russian Imperial Stout in the dark closet. It has probably been sitting for 26 months. The airlock dried up long ago....but it has been (and still is ) undisturbed in a dark closet.

My first thought is to toss the whole thing....

so here is the question:

1) don't even think about it just toss it?

2) if it looks good, smells good, give it a taste...if it is interesting bottle it and see what happens?

I'd taste and bottle it. Probably seed some fresh yeast first though.

correct....I did post about a similar issue 2 years ago. Those two went 1 for 2...One tasted good, carbed very slowly and was very good....the other not worth bottling.

The key difference here is that the airlock dried up on this one

correct....I did post about a similar issue 2 years ago. Those two went 1 for 2...One tasted good, carbed very slowly and was very good....the other not worth bottling.

The key difference here is that the airlock dried up on this one

If you haven't tasted it yet what's the point.

1. Taste it, if OK plan to package it.
  2. Force carb or bottle condition with fresh yeast.

It's no more complex than that.

I have an infinitesimally small expectation that the taste test will cause you to proceed to step two.

Back