Holiday Brewing Bonanza - Post Your Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gangles

Reaction score
If you are like most working stiffs, you probably have some time off around the holidays. If you are like most brewers, you have probably planned what you are going to brew with this time.

Post your plans, I'll start us off.

- Bottling a Stout that bubbling away right now 5 gal
- Start a Cranberry Appfelwein (Crapple Cider) 2.5 Gal
- Start a Red wine 5 gal
- Start a Canadian Red Ale 5 gal (maybe...)

GO!

I'm traveling back home for 2 weeks, so I won't be doing any brewing related activities. I bottled a RIS for presents, and have to rack the second half of my 10-10-10 to a keg for aging before I leave on Friday.

I doubt that I'll brew any more over the holidays, but I might, since the weather is cold enough now that I don't have to try very hard to keep the fermenter in the upper 60s range.

Presently the plans are:

Wait for the Cascade/simcoe IPA bottled on Sunday to be ready, and sample those.
Move the all-simcoe IPA I brewed on Sunday to secondary and dry-hop with more simcoe, then bottle around new year's, or the week after.
Maybe brew another batch when I get the opportunity, so I don't run out, and have to drink store-bought beer.

I plan on brewing

smash beer Munich & Cascade 5g
BM black pearl porter 5g
maybe some mead 1g

My son and his family are coming home for Christmas. He's been messing around with Mr. Beer kits and not taking it to seriously. I want to introduce him to all grain brewing and show him some of the basic brewing fundamentals like sanitation, temp control, use of a hydrometer, etc. I think we'll brew an India Brown Ale or possibly one of the amber ales that have been done on "Can You Brew It". My fermenting fridge is being taken over by my wife for all the holiday food so I'm planning a brew that I can ferment a little warmer. I'll have it in my cold basement and use a brew belt and temp controller to keep the temperature up.

-Bottle an RIS
-Bottle a Belgian Dark Strong (saq's New World Westy12)
-Brew 10G of blonde (5G get chilified)
-Drink beer
-Brew 5G of lambic (2x 2.5G batches)

All of this will likely not happen... but, those are the plans.

I have from Dec 18 to Jan 4 off and I plan on brewing like mad. Here are the Four that I plan on doing:

Oatmeal Stout
Amarillo Pale Ale
Hop Rod Rye clone
Double Chocolate Stout

this weekend: bottle cream ale
bottle red lager
bottle pilsner
bottle Hop head DIPA
try my hand at a hard cider
rack and dry hop a IIPA I came up with
next weekend: rack a porter
possibly bottle the IIPA mentioned above
brew something, thinking Amarillo pale ale and a bock

Im off from the 21 to the 4th of January.

So here are the tentative plans:

1. Brew a sorachi IPA
2. Brew a patersbier
3. Brew an evil dead red clone

"Non brewing" beer making plans include

1. Organize all equipment in the garage
2. Organize all my grains since I just recently went AG, and bought my first 55lb sack of 2 row.

NON Beer plans:

Start welding up my kids go kart
Finish the tree house in the backyard

And I think that there is some Christmas thing and new years thing in there as well.... as well as my Birthday - Argh, I'll be turning 35. Closer to 40 than anything else.

Cheers

Lucas

Off for 11.5 days.

Brewing:

- 8 gallon batch of my Amber (5 gallons of ale, 3 gallons of lager)
- 5 gallons batch of Heffe

Other stuff:

- Finishing the tower on my rolling kegerator
- Finishing my new electric HLT (foam lid with 2/2kw elements, thermometer and sight glass)
- Finishing my second heatstick
- Making a new GFCI extension cord

:ban:

I plan on brewing on the Winter Solstice. Monday the 21st I'll fire up the brew kettle right at sunset and brew a Belgian Dubbel. It'll be my first night brew and the last brew of the year.
On the Summer Solstice I brewed a Belgian Tripel at sunrise and those beers will be debuted during the night brew. It'll be a little taste of the Summer sun in a bottle.
The old Pagan legend is the Holly King and the Oak King fight on the Winter Solstice and the Oak King wins, bringing light back to the world. On the Summer Solstice they fight again and the Holly King wins, causing the sun to get lower in the sky.
I'm going to try to do a Solstice brew twice a year now. It teaches me patience to wait 6 months to try the first beer.

let me see...
i have an oaked arrogant bastard due up this weekend
also have the utopia clone going on sometime in the near future but since i dont see some of my brewing buddies very often now i have to wait till this sat to hash out details of brewday and cost sharing.

I'll be brewing the NB Caribou Slobber, and a second batch of Apfelwien. I'll keg the Cream Ale, and the first batch of Apfelwien.

I plan on brewing on the Winter Solstice. Monday the 21st I'll fire up the brew kettle right at sunset and brew a Belgian Dubbel. It'll be my first night brew and the last brew of the year.
On the Summer Solstice I brewed a Belgian Tripel at sunrise and those beers will be debuted during the night brew. It'll be a little taste of the Summer sun in a bottle.
The old Pagan legend is the Holly King and the Oak King fight on the Winter Solstice and the Oak King wins, bringing light back to the world. On the Summer Solstice they fight again and the Holly King wins, causing the sun to get lower in the sky.
I'm going to try to do a Solstice brew twice a year now. It teaches me patience to wait 6 months to try the first beer.

Love this idea!

I might do my own solstice brew. Maybe a 1 gal batch... :mug:

5 gal belgian wit
5 gal centennial blonde
and maybe an IPA or something

I also want to start putting together some AG equipment since I'm only doing PMs now

5 gal belgian wit
5 gal centennial blonde
and maybe an IPA or something

I also want to start putting together some AG equipment since I'm only doing PMs now

Can I just say that its really cool to see women brewers on the forum... and the only reason I checked, was because your user name is morebeer, as in morebeer.com

Cheers

Lucas

Planning on brewing twice in coming weekends:

19th - Brewing a "Pepperpot" Pale Ale from AHB, per request of a PM/Extract brewer that wants to do a compare. Personally I don't think we will notice much difference between PM and AG - maybe a bit of difference for extract.???

27th - Brewing "Ode to Arthur Stout" --- but asking the question if I can use Wyeast 1728 instead of the Irish Ale... and would it effect the overall flavor of it??? No one has responded yet! :off:

Looking forward to Relaxing and brewing with several recently bottled Beehive Brewery IPA with 2oz of Centennial Dry hopped!!

I think I'll be brewing on both Mondays next week and the week after.

Got an Irish Red planned, going to pseudo-lager it with Nottingham. Then a nice APA with Centennial and Citra hops.

I am off from the 24th - Jan. 3rd

I am bottling a winter warmer that has been sitting for 4 weeks in a secondary. I normally keg everything but I only have one empty and thought this would be a good batch to bottle.

I am brewing a Heff. to use up yeast I've had
brewing a Oatmeal stout
brewing a IPA (if all goes well)

Back