Frying oil in pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheld00

Reaction score
So i recently discovered a stock pot in my basement. It looks to be about a 7 gallon pot the only thing is according to my father it has had peanut oil (or some sort of frying oil) in it for about 4 years or so. i asked him if i would be able to use to brew in. He said that since the oil has sat in there for so long it has penetrated the metal(aluminum) and would be unusable for brewing. So getting to my question is it possible for oil to "soak" into the aluminum or with some serious cleaning will i be able to salvage this pot?

I found one of my old turkey fryer pots with some nasty oil in it. I have been letting it soak with the brewery cleaner stuff for a week. Then left some sanitizer in it. I am slowly making progress. May have to give it an acid bath. Or maybe I should just buy a new pot and leave this as a fry pot.

I would think a thourough cleaning would make it fine. Scrub it with soap and water, soak in Oxyclean, then maybe run a couple of water boils through it?

Metal isn't exactly very permeable. Give it a good soak with aluminium-friendly cleaner and use it. If the oil could soak into the metal, it could soak through it, and you'd notice that :)

meddin. thats about what i was thinking i just don't want to go through all that time and effort for the pot to remain just a frying pot. Being able to use this pot will really help me get me on my way to attempting some AG brewing i already have an 8 gal pot which is great for mass boils(extract) but a second large pot for free would be fantastic and allow me to spend my limited (college student) cash on other necessary equipment.

Here's a little something from John Palmer's "How to Brew"

For general cleaning, mild detergents or percarbonate-based cleaners are best for steel and aluminum. Bleach should be avoided because the high pH of a bleach solution can cause corrosion of aluminum and to a lessor degree of stainless steel. Do not clean aluminum shiny bright or use bleach to clean an aluminum brewpot because this removes the protective oxides and can result in a metallic taste. This taste-detectable level of aluminum is not hazardous. There is more aluminum in a common antacid tablet than would be present in a batch of beer made in an aluminum pot.

Also, once you you have it cleaned, fill it as much as possible and boil water in it. I'm not sure of the amount of time needed, however, once finished the sides and bottom should be tan coloured. This apparently is an oxide layer that helps protect the metal. Sorta like a seasoned cast-iron pan. Also, check out this link about aluminum pots, especially cleaning:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

thanks for the feedback gremlyn1 and darkside. I do work a local hardware store so i have a vast amount of cleaning products that i can get my hands on. Any one have any suggestions on what i should use to soak and scrub the pot with?

I have a metallurgy background so hopefully I know what I'm talking about. Other than any oxidation that occurred on the surface and some residual char, there won't be anything wrong with the aluminum (IMO oxidation could be a good thing for aluminum) Oil penetrating it is impossible

Your father is probably thinking about seasoning cast iron. Aluminum doesn't work the same way, as the grains are much, much smaller.

Back