DC Area Group Buy #10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have buckets at my house that Sven could pick up on his way home from work tonight, if not too much trouble. They are multiple different sizes, from Keith. A couple should be given to Ed, since a few were for him from last round.

If I don't forget I can change my route and pick up those buckets tonight. I'm trying to leave work a tad early tonight (maybe 4:30); will that work for you if I am at your place around 5/5:15?

S

I'll be coming with my son to help with splits. I'll bring as many buckets as I can fit in the car as well as the shakers and stir plate units. I just got a roll of 3/8id silicone tubing and I have a roll of 1/2id as well along with some 3' pieces for those of you that want some. I think the rolls are 25' or so. If anyone wants to pick up buckets at my house just send me a PM to arrange it.

I'll be coming with my son to help with splits. I'll bring as many buckets as I can fit in the car as well as the shakers and stir plate units. I just got a roll of 3/8id silicone tubing and I have a roll of 1/2id as well along with some 3' pieces for those of you that want some. I think the rolls are 25' or so. If anyone wants to pick up buckets at my house just send me a PM to arrange it.

Thank you, you're an amazing man!

Frits and other splitters...just got an email from 3* saying we could get in around 10 if we need to get in early. I plan to get there around 10-10:30. Had a scare because our grain did not arrive until a little while ago. Trying to get the Buy #9 thread re-opened to post there, but it all worked out...whew!

Frits and other splitters...just got an email from 3* saying we could get in around 10 if we need to get in early. I plan to get there around 10-10:30. Had a scare because our grain did not arrive until a little while ago. Trying to get the Buy #9 thread re-opened to post there, but it all worked out...whew!

Wow, that's too close for comfort. I'd had guessed the grain was delivered already a few days ago. 9 business days of lead time is barely enough?

Thanks for the heads-up on the splits starting time.

Note to all who do not help with splits:
Pickup is still scheduled for 11am.

Bigbeavk you still grabbing my grain right? Masonjax sorry to bring this back up but what kind of containers do you use for freezing wort for starters? Also assuming you have had good results with doing this? Plan to keep some my next brew day.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bigbeavk you still grabbing my grain right? Masonjax sorry to bring this back up but what kind of containers do you use for freezing wort for starters? Also assuming you have had good results with doing this? Plan to keep some my next brew day.

I use knockoff tupperware. Really anything that you're comfortable freezing would work. I reuse yeast cakes as much as possible so it's not real often that I actually need to make a starter, but yes, I've had very good results using frozen wort for starters.

Either way one of us will pick up for you. I'm not sure Ed is coming. If Monrovia is out of your way I think Ed is coming over on Sunday so I can transfer to him if it helps. :mug:

Ed's stuff is being picked up by Stefin according to my notes.

Sven picked up some buckets from me (from Keith) that are ideal for 5# and 15# split quantites. I think there were 5-6 of the smaller ones and 3-4 of the bigger ones. Hope they help!

Wish I could be there with you fellas tomorrow...

I use knockoff tupperware. Really anything that you're comfortable freezing would work. I reuse yeast cakes as much as possible so it's not real often that I actually need to make a starter, but yes, I've had very good results using frozen wort for starters.

I freeze most things in quart size plastic take out containers, like those used for Chinese and Tai soups/curries. They're very sturdy, durable, and I use them for everything, even brewing. My newest containers are 3 pound cottage cheese ones (Sam's Club).

Excellent I don't care who picks up I live in Thurmont and work in Montgomery County usually get off at 7 am so doesn't matter to me as it is picked up. Thanks guys

Sven picked up some buckets from me (from Keith) that are ideal for 5# and 15# split quantites. I think there were 5-6 of the smaller ones and 3-4 of the bigger ones. Hope they help!

Wish I could be there with you fellas tomorrow...

I didn't realize Ed didn't get some of those small buckets picked up from you. Lets try and make sure his splits get put in 3 or 4 of those since he asked for them.

res: Keith (bigbeav) snagged your grain.

All - can't post in the 9 thread, so posting here:

THANKS! to all those who helped once again. Seems like the same guys every buy are helping, so some of you others might want to try to help out next time or the time after...just sayin'!!

Big thanks to robfar, sweetcell, Pikeville, BigBeav and son, and of course Frits the king of splits...kinda rhymes eh?! Stefin, thanks for the grtzer and b. porter. Think the latter was infected, and that somehow made it better, at least for me!! Also thanks for all the samples guys. Frits and I REALLY enjoy sampling your handy work!! Also anyone else I might have missed, thanks. Keith, those buckets sure come in handy. Thanks again for all the stuff you handed out to the gang!!

Everyone, let's PLEASE try to be on time as it is hot in that place and after moving a ton of grain and splitting half of it into 5-10 pound bags, none of us are really willing to stick around long.

Thank you Tony and Frits!

I got there @ 10:30 and all my splits were already bagged and ready to go which is awesome. was not expecting that. feels good to have all this grain in my house.

Also thanks for the samples. Was refreshing... esp in that hot ass brewery.

:mug:

Glad to help stonebrewer! Many thanks to you and islandlizard for organizing. I think I will be working all night on putting my rice hulls away!

Thanks to everyone who did the splits! I arrived at 10:30, which I thought would db early enough to help split everything up, but they were on the last bag already. Next time I'll shop up earlier to pitch in.

we are in Dulles and interested in the group buy but not clear from the threads (or the patience is not in me to cull through it!) who to contact, what grain is available to order, and if yeast can be ordered in a cooled environ.

For your home brew bottle labels you print at home, check out. DIYFreeBeeLabels.com.

Bottled: Coconut Brown Ale
Fermenter: Smashed Pumpkin Ale

we are in Dulles and interested in the group buy but not clear from the threads (or the patience is not in me to cull through it!) who to contact, what grain is available to order, and if yeast can be ordered in a cooled environ.

For your home brew bottle labels you print at home, check out. DIYFreeBeeLabels.com.

Bottled: Coconut Brown Ale
Fermenter: Smashed Pumpkin Ale

All the pertinent info is in the first post of this group buy thread.

Please read that first post thoroughly so you know how it works and what's expected from you.

Sorry, we don't do yeast (or hops) but 3 Stars' homebrew shop on premises stocks a wide variety of White Labs, and I'm sure you can pre-order whatever you need.

+1 to what Tony said!

Thanks to everyone helping with the distribution and splitting and those who kindly provided homebrew samples. Very appreciated! We love to taste your brewing results. Stefin's Gratzer makes me want to brew it. The infected Baltic Porter is exquisite.

This was another success because of all of you who showed up to help. Couldn't have done it without you. We're also getting better at it each time. I think it was one of the smoothest and fastest splits (71 of them) we've done so far. Only one bag got its corner sliced unintentionally right before we discovered we had the wrong maltster at hand. I'll make sure the maltster's name or initials will appear somehow on the labels next time, to prevent second guessing and having to cross reference with the master list. We don't want to make mistakes at that point.

Special thanks goes out to Keith and son for bringing more of those fantastic buckets and a bunch of other goodies they handed out. Total Ace!

and I go bck for a bit more... and it kicks. I now have 4 kegs on tap, none of which were tapped at 10 AM today :)

WOO NEW!

I would like to express my thanks to those that help organize buy #9. Sorry I had to grab and run - I had a pressing work engagement.

What time do you normally show up to get things rolling? I would absolutely assist on the next buy in.

Thanks to everyone who did the splits! I arrived at 10:30, which I thought would db early enough to help split everything up, but they were on the last bag already. Next time I'll shop up earlier to pitch in.

Ditto! I thought it was just starting! You guys are good!
I'll get there earlier next time so I can help. Thanks everyone!

I got there at 9:15 at the same time Mike (the brewshop owner) arrived, so I got in really early. That was lucky I guess. I started to work on the splits right away and had 2 done when Tony showed up. A few minutes later others came in and sacks were being sorted. Typically 3 Stars opens the door for us at 10, but we've always been able to get in earlier. :ban:

I like to get a good head start before the actual pick-up frenzy begins.

Whoever starts the DME (or participates in it) does the split. Fair enough?

I've repackaged DME into quart ziplock bags, holding about 1.5#. By the time I use the last of it, it starts getting grose and sticky. I also scoop from a larger bag when I need to make larger starters. Or use leftover wort.

On to the next one.

Ill get in on some splits

10# of Château Biscuit 25 Kg (55 Lb.) CAS1051
10# of Weyermann® CaraAroma® 25 Kg (55 Lb.) WEY1063
15# of Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb 3440C

And id like to start a split of Briess 2-Row Carapils® 50 lb BRI1022, ill take the first 15#

Latest posts

Back