Dropped Bottle of Amylase Enzyme in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyB029

Reaction score
I dropped the 1.5 oz bottle of dry amylase enzyme in my secondary. 11 gallons at stake. Only wanted 2 tsp. it's all in there..... Other than worrying about an infection from the non-sanitized bottle that dropped in and fished out, is too much amylase toxic? Will my beer be safe to drink?
Since amylase is a protein, I'm thinking yea?

Bummer. Not sure about if it is toxic in that amount, my guess is no since its just an enzyme.

This is something I have no experience with. I don't use amylase enzymes. What warnings are on the label? Contact the manufacturer to find out what they will tell you. You could also contact the Poison Control Center. PCC may not tell you anything for liability reasons. Start an internet search for the exact enzyme this is.
There is a chance you will be okay. A very very dry beer though.

You should be fine. Give a google search and be prepared for a dry as water beer.

If you are really worried contact the manufacturer but it should be fine. Amylase is an enzyme, which is just a protein. Also, the half-life of enzymes is very short so it's probably been broken down to amino acids and incorporated into the yeast cells. Basically, the amylase is not going to hurt you. If that's not enough evidence then you body produces amylase as a component of you saliva. The only way it might be harmful is if they use a chemical in the purifying of the amylase and I doubt that since it is a food grade additive.

It's not a detergent. In fact, it's in the barley we brew with. I don't know why your beer tasted like soap.

Adding amylase enzymes will definitely result in a thin beer. Those enzymes will ensure that all sugars in the solution are fermentable.

Back