Check your equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edthefox

Reaction score
This past weekend I found an unwelcome visitor in my turkey fryer when I was setting up to brew. This was in my garage and I had some blocks of wood setting on it. When I removed the wood, I found this!

1-img_02211-55794.jpg

Moral of the story:
If you store things out in a dirty garage, be sure and check things before you grab them, or you my get something you didn't expect.
I could have easily grabbed her when I picked up the wood.

Wow! Is that a black widow? It's kinda hard to tell on my phone. That's nuts. Thanks for the reminder. Those kinds of basic safety tips are always a welcome sight in my opinion. I think you should name a beer after it!

How do you know its a female? :p
Inspiration for your next brews name? Spider Bite?

I hate spiders, glad we dont have those things up here. We just have to deal with stupid earwigs everywhere this time of year.

I once found a dead mouse in the bucket I grind grain into.

Not sure how it got in there. The Barley Crusher was sitting on top with a .039 gap.

>>I once found a dead mouse in the bucket I grind grain into.

Off Topic - It's AMAZING how small a hole a mouse can fit into.
Maybe store your gear inside a giant Hefty Bag.
The Black Widow would creep me out!
As for the Mouse , Hanta virus comes to mind.

Ewe! Chills run down my spine. Hate spiders. I once lived in the Mojave desert and after a very wet spring there were more bugs than normal including black widow spiders. Those fellows loved my garage, I bombed the garage with spray but they just kept returning. Very reslilant they are. Good luck!

How do you know its a female? :p

The male of the species looks nothing like that and is not poisonous. Only the females are black, grow to that size (and much larger), and have the prominent red hourglass. I live in the desert and there are probably hundreds of black widows in my garage and shed right now. It gives me the willies.

Back