Hello from Cedar Rapids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartski

Reaction score
Okay, so I got the idea of starting to brew my own beer planted in my head earlier this week, and I've started to do some research. Before I bought any equipment or ingredients, I bought 2 books.

I'm a big fan of the American-Style Lager (Budweiser), but I know it's a different type of yeast and everything. my main question is: Would it be possible to brew this type of beer with the normal homebrew setup used for ales and everything else?

Welcome - good to meet someone from the home of the National Czech Cemetary, Coe College, and Quaker Oats.;)

Yes it is possible to brew American-style lagers. Lagering involves more temperature control - you need a refrigerated, temperature controlled fermentation cabinet or space.

There are ale styles that are similar, but more flavorful, that you might enjoy trying - blonde ales, cream ales, kolsch. I always keep a batch on hand to serve to people who may not be familiar with craft beer. My version is a light cream ale made with organic pilsner malt. It's dry, crisp and light, but has more flavor than the typical bud/miller/coors.

Welcome! I just took a new job not too long ago in CR.

If you wanting to get into home brewing come to the next Cedar Rapids Homebrew club meeting. Its this Thursday. If you can show up ask for John from Des Moines

We are meeting at the Longbranch.

Hello everyone, the next meeting will be on Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM. The place will be the Longbranch Hotel & Restaurant & Convention Center. See their website from more info and directions.

http://www.thelongbranch.com/

It is located off 1st Ave sort of behind Bed, Bath & Beyond. We hope to welcome some new people from the Amana beer & cheese event, discuss the National Homebrew Conference, share results of the Baltic Porter club competition, draw styles for the new year, and many other topics.

Thanks for the suggestion, Pappers. I'll try and find some of those cream ales to try and see if I like that type enough to try and make my own.

And thanks for the invite, Schlenkerla! Jeff Dunham Concert is Thursday night, but maybe next time!

Well, it's been a long time since I've been on the forums, but as golf season winds down and winter approaches, I'm getting more interested in the brewing experiment. I bought a homebrew kit last week and now I'm reaserching what all other equipment and ingredients I'll need.

I've been trying a ton of different beers this summer and I've found out that I really love porters and other very dark beers. Sam Adams Chocolate Bock and Young's Double Chocolate Stout are to of my favorites so far, so I'd like to try and make something similar for my first batch.

I know this is an old thread, but Im also in Cedar Rapids and just started brewing. Nice to see another local guy!!!!

Back