I want to get started in homebrewing, have some questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler_Durden

Reaction score
What extract is better - liquid or dry?
What size brew pot should I use?
What kind of brew pot is better aluminium or stainless steel?
What is the best fermentation chamber - glass carboy, plastic brew bucket, better bottle, conical fermenter?
Should I go straight into all grain?
What is best for all grain - batch or fly sparging?
Should I go straight into kegging?
What is the best type of fridge for a kegarator?
Should I go with pin lock or ball lock kegs?
Should I add extract at knockout?
Should I use a yeast starter?
Should I do a full boil?
Should I use pellet or whole leaf hops?
Should I use tap water or distilled water?
If I build a lauter tun should I go with a round or rectangular cooler?
What is better for a MLT copper manifold, pvc manifold, cpvc manifold, or stainless steel braid?

wow, you have a lot of questions for just getting started!

get a start brewing kit (plastic fermenter and/or better bottles and/or glass) and a beer ingredients kit. either check out your local homebrew store or buy them online, austinhomebrew.com, northernbrewer.com, etc, etc.

you'll probably start with extract brewing, boiling 1-3 gallons and topping off to 5 gallons. then as you get experience i'm sure you'll pick up more equipment + other techniques.

get stainless steel for your pot. as for the fermenters, many people here use plastic primaries or plastic or glass carboys + blowoffs, its your preference. i've read lots of positives about better bottles so i went with a few plastic primaries and a few better bottles!

have fun!

Wow, if you have these questions, obviously, you have seen this forum.
Please read it to find your answers, you will be far better ahead doing the reading yourself, trust me.

neither, it is personal preference and/or local availability
depends on what size batch you are brewing, as well as partial vs. full boil. for a partial boil 5 gallon batch, a 5 gallon pot works. full boil, 8 gallons works.
Stainless steel, but price is a factor
What is the best fermentation chamber - glass carboy, plastic brew bucket, better bottle, conical fermenter?
Conical is the best, but expensive and more a specialized piece of equipment. Glass carboy and better bottle share second place. Bucket is third.
do a few extracts first, make sure you like the hobby before dropping all sorts of cash and time on all grain
up for debate
Again, bottle your first few batches. If only to make sure you like the hobby before dropping cash on a kegorator.
Up for debate. I like chest freezers with a collar. Some prefer a dorm fridge with tower. They will pretty much all work somehow!
Doesn't matter much, just make sure you pick on and stick to it. You don't want to be all mixed up with both types. I do think ball lock parts are easier to find for home brewers though.
Late extract additions are recommended sometimes to lighten color. you can add a fraction (~1/4) for the full time period, and the rest at ~15 min left
if you can do so, they are recommended
Should I do a full boil?
if you have a big enough pot and a stove capable of boiling 6+ gallons, it is the way to go
doesn't matter. You will find much more available in pellet right now.
As long as your tap water is drinkable, it is passable for brewing. if you are worried, you can use a charcoal filter to take care of chlorine
personal preferance/local availability again
What is better for a MLT copper manifold, pvc manifold, cpvc manifold, or stainless steel braid?
whatever works for you. we each make due with what we have.

my answers in bold

Dry is better, but more expensive. Your choice.

The bigger the better - Extract - 4 gal, All Grain, the bigger the better but 7.5 gal is pushing it very small. Your choice.

Your Choice, Al better heat transfer, never had a problem with it. SS, easier to clean. Your choice.

Depends on your batch size, 20 gallon's I think you want to go with conical, Glass is easier to clean, plastic you have to worry about scratches a little more. Never used a BB yet. Your choice.

Wow, Your choice? How much do you want to take on all at once?

Your choice. Depends more on your equipment, time and what your rather do. Old school is fly sparging.

Depends on how much you hate bottling, kegging makes thing much easier, but much more expensive with getting kegs, co2 bottle, regulator, fridge, temperature controller, gas and beer lines, taps, etc. Your choice.

Now this is a loaded question just begging to start up a flame war if the ones above don't do it. Your choice.

Either or, what can you get cheaper and support with parts. Answer seems to be ball locks now days. Your choice.

Depends if your doing a late extraction or not, but I would say yes. It helps with color and hops utilization. Your choice.

Depends on your yeast, volume of wort. Your choice.

Should I do a full boil?
Yes, but if doing extract with late addition, this question does not compute. Your choice.

What can you get? I can only get pellets. Depends on what you want, IE: Your choice.

How good is your tap water? In general if you can drink it from the tap at room temperature and like it, you can use it for your beer. If your a bottled water snob you may want to use spring water, not distilled unless you treat it to provide the needed nutrients for your yeast. Tap or spring water = Your choice.

Size of the cooler and bed size is more important, round coolers make it easier to get a good bed depth, but if your batch sparging it does not matter. I use a Ice cube, lots of space, cheap and I batch sparge. Again: Your choice.

Now your just trying to start another holy war here. Depends on your sparge method, budget, type of MLT.
There are other options like brew in the bag, steam infusion, electrical heat recirculation.
To be honest - do you want to make beer or be a toy master?
I would do a tree decision based on your budget and decide what you can afford to spend without kicking yourself if you decide you don't like homebrewing after 3 batchs. From there, it is all up to you. This board accepts all homebrewers as they are. (But some do teast brewmuncher for his ugly junk). It's all up to you.

:tank: :mug:

Sorry, you asked we answered.
It can be very easy, or so damm complex that you need a 6 year advanced degree in zurmology (sp?).
Once again it is all about what you want, your budget and your choices.

Back