Beer sitting a while in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjriehl

Reaction score
Hey guys, My friend and I brewed a batch of beer but we've both been busy lately (I drive 72 miles to work and his sister got married last weekend) so we haven't done anything with it lately. It's been sitting in our primary fermenter for about a month. We want to transfer it to the secondary fermenter and continue the process. I want to know if we'll have to add yeast again since I'm not sure if it's had enough "food" to keep going. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I say let it sit where its at until you're ready to bottle. Unless of course you're adding something to it in secondary like dry hopping or some such. You can leave it in primary for a few months with no worries, as long as you're not opening it to look at it or such. You should not have to add more yeast unless you've got a really high gravity beer there.

GTG

i say let it sit where its at until you're ready to bottle. Unless of course you're adding something to it in secondary like dry hopping or some such. You can leave it in primary for a few months with no worries, as long as you're not opening it to look at it or such. You should not have to add more yeast unless you've got a really high gravity beer there.

Gtg

+1

^ what they said. Bottle/keg it! One of the best brews I've made was a Wee Heavy that I put so much into on brew day but couldn't get around to bottling it forever. So it spent about 10 or 11 weeks in a primary bucket. Bottled it right from there, wonderful prize winning results.

Yea, We're doing a Pineapple/Mango Wheat IPA so we're adding fresh squeezed juice that we will be making by using a potato masher to run it through the fruit and then strain it as well as dry hopping a little bit. We're using less sugar to bottle because of the natural sugars in the fruit which I feel like might over carbonate if we use the normal amount. Then once we get this one done, it's time to brew our annual pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving.

transfer and do not add yeast. there's still plenty of residual yeast floating around, and will transfer to the secondary

MVKTR2 said:
^ what they said. Bottle/keg it! One of the best brews I've made was a Wee Heavy that I put so much into on brew day but couldn't get around to bottling it forever. So it spent about 10 or 11 weeks in a primary bucket. Bottled it right from there, wonderful prize winning results.

+1 to this. Time to bottle or keg it so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Back