Making A Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midas

Reaction score
HI ALL,i'm planning to make a wheat beer soon,the last two times i've made a wheat beer,i've fallen quite short of my desired og.I do a single infusion mash and have started batch sparging since my last attempt at a wheat beer . any ideas on why i havn't hit my desired og,and what can i do to make sure i do this time. thanks, don

What are your recipes looking like? Do you have enough diastatic power in the mash to convert the wheat fully? Have you done a starch test? Were you fly sparging beforehand? Why did you switch? Are you using a mash out? What are your batches for sparging? Are you using rice hulls?

Perhaps try a step mash, but I would think you should be a to fully convert without one.

Perhaps your efficiency is not as good with a wheat heavy grain bill.

thanks for the reply,i've used recipes with about 50/50 wheat malt to pale malt.do check for conversion.did fly sparge,changed because it's esier and faster.i did use rice hulls.and when i batch sparge i usually drain the tun then split the remaining amount needed into two more sparges.

off topic - i'm interested in this also! got a wheat going right now that i missed OG by about 6-8 thousandths (1042 instead of 1048-50).

I brewed a wheat yesterday with a similar process.

I got around 80% efficiency with 5 lbs US wheat malt and 3 lbs British Pale milled in my BarleyCrusher at factory setting. So it at least is possible with your process.

My process was...

Mash in with 4 gal @ 163f to hit 154 in my 7.5 gal round cooler with a false bottom. Stir briefly to ensure no dough balls. Mash 60 minutes.

Recirculate 1 gal and drain tun. Infuse 2 gal @ 180f. Stir briefly. Rest 20 minutes.

Recirculate 1 gal and drain tun. Infuse 2 gal @ 185f. Stir briefly. Rest 20 minutes.

Recirculate 1 gal and drain tun. Total collected ~6.75 gal.

Boiled 60 minutes. Ended up with 5.25 gal in primary at 1.044.

the store i get the grain from probably mills all the grains together,would it be worth having them mill the barley and the wheat malt seperatley?

Back