Cold Crash Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtrain22

Reaction score
I have an Alt that has been in primary for about 14 days and hydormeter has been steady for 3 days I am going to secondary with it for clearing and I am going to "cold crash" to aid in that process. Before bottling, do I need to bring it back up to room temp? Also, if have to bring the temp up how long should I leave the bottles at room temp before chilling them down again. Thanks.

You can bottle at your cold temperature, but need to let the bottles warm up to room temperature in order to carbonate. You should leave your bottles at room temperature for a minimum of three weeks to aid in carbonation, and it's not necessary to cool them back down until you are ready to drink them.

WElcome :)
I've never tried to cold crash before, especially with an ale.
I believe you don't need to bring it up to temp to bottle, but you will want to let it be "warm" while you are bottle conditioning to let the yeast that are left carb things up.

I am kinda interested in this subject as well. I am curious if it is better to cold condition before you bottle, or after you bottle. From what I understand, there is little difference, other than preference (or if you keg, obviously).

Actually, there is one thing to consider. CO2 is more soluble at colder temperatures. Therefore, your cold beer will have more CO2 dissolved in it that it would at room temperature (or normal ale temps) so you should take that into account.

There are priming rate calculators on line that will help you to figure out the proper amount of priming sugar you will want to use for the volume/temperature and style of beer.

Oh, and welcome.

:tank:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Zy, never thought about the CO2 calc at a colder temp. Thanks for the calc link. My reason for the "cold crash" is that i don't think I got rid of as much of the trub as I would have liked and most of the people who will be helping me to drink this hate "cloudy" beers. I am hoping to settle as much as this as possible at the bottom of my secondary before bottling. I will keep you updated on what I decide and how it turns out. I guess I am leaning toward slowly raising it back to room temp and then bottle and condition. Thanks again eveyone this site is great!!!

I have heard......... but don't know if its true, as I am a newbie to cold crashing as well, that if you let it warm back up in the same container you cold crashed in the proteins etc. that fell out will rise back up again. It would be interesting to hear how it went for you. I am getting ready to bottle my cold crashed beer and don't quite know how i am going to go about it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Zy, never thought about the CO2 calc at a colder temp. Thanks for the calc link. My reason for the "cold crash" is that i don't think I got rid of as much of the trub as I would have liked and most of the people who will be helping me to drink this hate "cloudy" beers. I am hoping to settle as much as this as possible at the bottom of my secondary before bottling. I will keep you updated on what I decide and how it turns out. I guess I am leaning toward slowly raising it back to room temp and then bottle and condition. Thanks again eveyone this site is great!!!

Hate drinking cloudy beer? haha... tell them to deal with it. A cloudy beer never hurt me.

Back