People are looking out...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...for us.

I told a few people in the chat the other night that the Air Force was pretty much 100% going to be sending us to Shreveport, Louisiana (Barksdale AFB)in the next couple of months. SWMBO and I are both active duty so we'd both be sent there. In our opinion it is probably the absolute last place we'd want to go. We really want overseas assignments, not lateral moves to the US, especially to some ****hole base in LA. Too damn hot there! And we have our house to think about.

Anyway, a CMSgt that has been working the issue got us out of the assignment for now. We are totally relieved for the moment. I wouldn't say we are totally out of the water yet, but we aren't drowning anymore either.
Great Friday news!

I'm throwing back a few to celebrate tonight (I gotta wait til 11 PM when I get off of work, but...). What a relief.

the_bird said:
So, does that mean that you guys will be in VA for the forseeable future?

In any case, sounds like good news, so - great to hear!

I think it is a given that this time next year we will be gone from Virginia, where we don't know. We've asked for Germany, Hawaii and Omaha.

I think right now our preferences are in that order as well. I think Germany is the hardest one to get though.

We have lots of decisions ahead of us depending on where we get sent, as it will likely be my last assignment.

Dude:

No matter where you and Les go on this earth, you will always have a place to stay in Phoenix (or wherever I may go someday) and when you will get a visit from me (probably more oftern than you want) no matter where you're stationed.

Consider that a benefit or a curse :)

Dude said:
...for us.

I told a few people in the chat the other night that the Air Force was pretty much 100% going to be sending us to Shreveport, Louisiana (Barksdale AFB)in the next couple of months. SWMBO and I are both active duty so we'd both be sent there. In our opinion it is probably the absolute last place we'd want to go. We really want overseas assignments, not lateral moves to the US, especially to some ****hole base in LA. Too damn hot there! And we have our house to think about.

Anyway, a CMSgt that has been working the issue got us out of the assignment for now. We are totally relieved for the moment. I wouldn't say we are totally out of the water yet, but we aren't drowning anymore either.
Great Friday news!

I'm throwing back a few to celebrate tonight (I gotta wait til 11 PM when I get off of work, but...). What a relief.

I'm in Louisiana. You're right. You want to see a real **** hole - visit New Orleans.
I can say that - born and raised here.
If you just stay in the French Quarter, you'll be fine - don't wander out of there.

Brewer3401 said:
I'm in Louisiana. You're right. You want to see a real **** hole - visit New Orleans.
I can say that - born and raised here.
If you just stay in the French Quarter, you'll be fine - don't wander out of there.

Hey Uptown is nice too, lived there for 4 years!

Good news Dude. I hope you can get one of your three choices.
Hey it won't be too long before you will be ROAD! :D It would be nice to have a good assignment for your last ho-rah! :mug:
Fingers crossed here.

Originally posted by Dude
I think it is a given that this time next year we will be gone from Virginia, where we don't know. We've asked for Germany, Hawaii and Omaha.

How about about McChord AFB here in Washington Dude? The beers on me! :mug:

Yeah, me and the wife are going through the same thing...negotiating orders is a PITA. We're trying to get out of SoCal and over to the Chicago area...but you gotta take what they say with a grain of salt because people frequently get their orders changed at the last minute. By the way, lots of people call Hampton a sh*thole, but I've always liked it out there. Used to be stationed out there, just can't get orders back.

Brewtopia said:
How about about McChord AFB here in Washington Dude? The beers on me! :mug:

We'd LOVE to go there but the problem is finding 2 weather-person spots. That's why we have to stick to bases that have weather "hubs". The hubs are central locations for a certain geographical area. Each hub has about 200 weather folks. For example, Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson currently does pretty much all the weather forecsats (for Air Force bases) for the wrn half of the US.

McChord would kick so much ass though.

Originally quoted by Dude
We'd LOVE to go there but the problem is finding 2 weather-person spots.

Fair enough. If you ever make out here though, the beer is STILL on me! :mug:

Dude said:
We'd LOVE to go there but the problem is finding 2 weather-person spots. That's why we have to stick to bases that have weather "hubs". The hubs are central locations for a certain geographical area. Each hub has about 200 weather folks. For example, Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson currently does pretty much all the weather forecsats (for Air Force bases) for the wrn half of the US.

McChord would kick so much ass though.
I was stationed at Davis Monthan back in the late 70s. I thought it was a pretty cool place. Damn it was hot though!

Back