my first SMaSH, what hops should i use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoak

Reaction score
grain bill

10 lbs weyermann 2 row pilsner malt

mashed at 150 degrees for 90 min. beersmith says i should have a OG of 1.056.

pitching a rehydrated packet of US-05

here are the hops i have on hand:

perle 7.1% whole hops

cascade 5.3% pellet

williamette 4.8% pellet

saaz 3.5% pellet

saphir 3.7% pellet

hallertaur 7% pellet

tettnanger 5.3% pellet

styrian goldings 5.1% pellets but only 1 oz left

i was going to use 1oz cascade at 40, 15 and 5 for a total of 3 oz.

open to any critique.

That's the beauty of a smash... it lets you get to know the hop you pick all by itself. Just pick one that you're curious about.

I would try something other than cascade. There are a lot of commercial examples out there that only use cascade.

Centennial's a really nice hop to use for SMaSH.

I did a Vienna/centennial (who hasn't?) with the following hop schedule:

.50oz FWH
.75oz 60 min
.50oz 10 min
.75oz Flameout
1.5oz Dry hop

all pellets, ended up with about 49.5 IBU, and it was fantastic.

iahebert said:
Centennial's a really nice hop to use for SMaSH.

I did a Vienna/centennial (who hasn't?) with the following hop schedule:

.50oz FWH
.75oz 60 min
.50oz 10 min
.75oz Flameout
1.5oz Dry hop

all pellets, ended up with about 49.5 IBU, and it was fantastic.

I haven't :'(

i went with cascade, common in many commercial brews but still new to me. i bought a sack of grain so there will be more SMaSHes in my future. another new thing for me was using a 5 gallon cooler for a mash tun instead of doing my usual BIAB. i like it. this saturday my father in law will be up here from los angeles with the 10 gallon blichmann i bought from another forum member so my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer will become a HLT with the addition of some fittings from bargainfittings.com. i also bought two mini fridges for lagering and general fermentation temperature control. it's going to be a great summer.

i went with cascade, common in many commercial brews but still new to me. i bought a sack of grain so there will be more SMaSHes in my future. another new thing for me was using a 5 gallon cooler for a mash tun instead of doing my usual BIAB. i like it. this saturday my father in law will be up here from los angeles with the 10 gallon blichmann i bought from another forum member so my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer will become a HLT with the addition of some fittings from bargainfittings.com. i also bought two mini fridges for lagering and general fermentation temperature control. it's going to be a great summer.

you better get brewing! keeping stock in the summer is always a challenge, enjoy the new toys :mug:

Latest posts

Back