Grunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some 30-something friends who have little daughters freaked out about "worlds colliding" when Eddie and the guys played Let It Go.

I disagree. I think it's a great album, but for me without thinking too much, better (IMO) first Albums

Van Halen - Van Halen
Ten - Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys
Appetite for Destruction - GNR
Are you Experienced - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Illmatic - Nas
Enter the Wu-Tang - Covid Clan
Greetings from Asbury Park - The Boss
Slim Shady LP - Eminem
Dirt - Alice in Chains

That's without thinking too much. I coudl think more I'm sure.

Not a big fan, but you gotta admit that Boston's debut album was pretty strong. Especially going up against disco.

(And BTW, I do very much agree with your first five listings there.)

Because no one ever listened to Mother Love Bone, STP started as grunge lite and just got better, and the Pumpkins weren't grunge.

While we're on the topic of bands of my binge-drinking, bong-fueled college days, can anyone explain to me why STP got so hated on? Was that just some kind of West Coast / Rolling Stone "cool" thing to hate them? I grew up on the East Coast, and I never equated STP with the likes of Nirvana or Pearl Jam. In fact, STP was what we listened to when we got tired of the emotional angsty-ness of some of those other bands, and just wanted to crank it up! :cross:

While we're on the topic of bands of my binge-drinking, bong-fueled college days, can anyone explain to me why STP got so hated on? Was that just some kind of West Coast / Rolling Stone "cool" thing to hate them? I grew up on the East Coast, and I never equated STP with the likes of Nirvana or Pearl Jam. In fact, STP was what we listened to when we got tired of the "emotionality" of some of those other bands :cross:

I think it was just that they came along after the first wave of grunge bands (Nirvana, PJ, Mudhoney, AiC, Soundgarden) and they weren't from Seattle, so they were labeled as posers trying to take advantage of grunge's success. Same as what happened with Bush.

I think it was just that they came along after the first wave of grunge bands (Nirvana, PJ, Mudhoney, AiC, Soundgarden) and they weren't from Seattle, so they were labeled as posers trying to take advantage of grunge's success. Same as what happened with Bush.

No that was what happened with Collective Soul. Record Labels dressed them and packaged them as a grunge act.

STP got hated on because Weiland had a vocal tone that was kind of similar to Vedder's. Not quite Scott Stapp level mind you, he was just an early one. I loved their first 2 albums though. Core and Purple were great, after that a few songs I like, but the albums were meh.

No that was what happened with Collective Soul. Record Labels dressed them and packaged them as a grunge act.

STP got hated on because Weiland had a vocal tone that was kind of similar to Vedder's. Not quite Scott Stapp level mind you, he was just an early one. I loved their first 2 albums though. Core and Purple were great, after that a few songs I like, but the albums were meh.

Yeah, I could see that. I liked a few songs off Tiny Music too, although at that point they had definitely established themselves as something other than grunge.

Speaking of not-quite-grunge bands that got lumped in with the movement, I'm a big fan of the Afghan Whigs (the first non-Seattle band signed to Sub Pop, but far more diverse in their musical influences) and Helmet (still some of my favorite bad-mood music).

This is borderline sacrilege. I agree with you on Van Hagar, but Van Halen was great. The self titled debut included amazing hits like Running with the Devil, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Jamie's Crying, Feel Your Love, and Ice Cream man. Hating on Van Halen is like hating on ice cream, It's just wrong

I was 12 years old when the first Van Halen album came out. It was OK, but it signaled THE END to rock as art and the beginning of rock as mainstream big business that was directed by the record companies and not by the artists. Even Pink Floyd started going pop at the time. That's was real sad.

With the creative freedom that artists had between 65 and 75, we were blessed with gifts from unimaginably good artists such as Elton John, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, etc and so forth. I was just watching TIny Dancer on youtube last night and it literally brought tears to my eyes the power Elton John has over a dreamer like me.

As for grunge, Scott Weiland was awesome. Paired with Slash, they were even better. But the birth of grunge happened already in 1988.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSn0SbQJQI[/ame]

I mean for me to be blunt, I see Grunge as the bands with ties to Green River. THat ties you to Mudhoney, MLB, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, Screaming Trees, and others. I'm sure I'm missing a few with that rule.

I was 12 years old when the first Van Halen album came out. It was OK, but it signaled THE END to rock as art and the beginning of rock as mainstream big business that was directed by the record companies and not by the artists. Even Pink Floyd started going pop at the time. That's was real sad.

I'm not really sure where you come up with that. Van Halen wasn't some record company controlled band. They got big by playing a lot and putting on great shows. ROck was a big business way before hand. Sure Van Halen was a precursor to acts that followed (like the 80s GLAM) blaming them for the 80s commercial rock would be like blaming Eddie Vedder for Creed.

I see grunge as Subpop and Kill Rock Stars in that magical window (can't define dates) between the very late 80s and the beginning of the 90s.

I see grunge as Subpop and Kill Rock Stars in that magical window (can't define dates) between the very late 80s and the beginning of the 90s.

That covers the majority of the acts as well. Pearl Jam falls out of that though, as does Mother Love Bone and Malfunkshun. Gruntruk, etc.

I'm not really sure where you come up with that. Van Halen wasn't some record company controlled band. They got big by playing a lot and putting on great shows. ROck was a big business way before hand. Sure Van Halen was a precursor to acts that followed (like the 80s GLAM) blaming them for the 80s commercial rock would be like blaming Eddie Vedder for Creed.

It dunno really know how to explain it but it was a light bulb moment that brought to mind the famous sentence: "they're selling hippie wigs in woolworths man". That was the end of the scene. Just like I told my wife a few weeks back: "they're selling hipster pants in esprit, honey"... I was never a hipster, but I knew at that moment that the time for the bearded guys with purple flower jeans was gone.

Yeah, I guess that was a little too circumscribed. I've had a pint or two.

It's OK, Soundgarden, AIC, and Pearl Jam don't consider themselves grunge. I'm sure if Cobain was alive he'd tell you grunge is made up Rolling Stone bull**** or something like that.

Yeah, I could see that. I liked a few songs off Tiny Music too, although at that point they had definitely established themselves as something other than grunge.

Speaking of not-quite-grunge bands that got lumped in with the movement, I'm a big fan of the Afghan Whigs (the first non-Seattle band signed to Sub Pop, but far more diverse in their musical influences) and Helmet (still some of my favorite bad-mood music).

I am a massive Helmet fan.

I am a massive Helmet fan.

You're a fan of massive helmets, you say? :D

Dark_Helmet_unmasked.jpg

Such a heavy cross to bear, it must be. Poor Eddie.

Hunter...can you take me higher? To a place where Creed can't sing? Can you take me higher?

I'm typically not a music hater, like I understand to each his own and I encourage exploration of genres, but man Creed exploited people's religious views during an intense period of youth appropriated religion (especially in the Bible Belt regions) that ended up all being a ruse to sell albums.

Practice what you preach yo.

That's why I preach the sanctity of deliciousness.

You're a fan of massive helmets, you say? :D

Dark_Helmet_unmasked.jpg

Lets be careful with how far we take that gentlemen. The mods are watching.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WUlNSx_Wk[/ame]

Hunter...can you take me higher? To a place where Creed can't sing? Can you take me higher?

I'm typically not a music hater, like I understand to each his own and I encourage exploration of genres, but man Creed exploited people's religious views during an intense period of youth appropriated religion (especially in the Bible Belt regions) that ended up all being a ruse to sell albums.

Practice what you preach yo.

That's why I preach the sanctity of deliciousness.

Lets be careful with how far we take that gentlemen. The mods are watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4WUlNSx_Wk

Says the guy who proceeded to post a rap song by a noise punk band from Austin. Also another of my favorite bands. Locust Abortion Technician is so dirty it's beautiful.

I think we can safely add Nickleback to that list. Yeah, it's a list now, because now there's two bands on it.

Seriously, I can't stand Chad Kroeger.

SWMBO is a big Nickelback fan. We seen them play at an outdoor gig in Helsinki 4 years back. Luckily they were selling beer at the concert - enough of it kept me from going crazy ;-) And gave me enough of an attitude that I plowed a line through the crowd with her on my tail and took her straight up to the stage.

Oh man, my Nickelback hatred was legendary, when they were relevant. My daughter used to torment me with it. She hated them just as much though.

It's hard to watch that and Nirvana's Unplugged now knowing how messed up Layne and Kurt were and knowing how close they were to death. It's a shame they couldn't get cleaned up.

It's hard to watch that and Nirvana's Unplugged now knowing how messed up Layne and Kurt were and knowing how close they were to death. It's a shame they couldn't get cleaned up.

What's scary is Layne looked like that and then lived for like 4 more years. I don't want to know what he looked like. Apparently it was so bad that when they did the "super group" Another Brick in the Wall Part II for the Faculty, they used stock footage of Layne because he looked bad.

What's scary is Layne looked like that and then lived for like 4 more years. I don't want to know what he looked like. Apparently it was so bad that when they did the "super group" Another Brick in the Wall Part II for the Faculty, they used stock footage of Layne because he looked bad.

Layne had gotten down to 85 lbs (over 6 foot tall guy) before he died. He was dead in his Seattle apartment for almost 3 weeks before anybody found him, that's how isolated he had become.

I listen to mainly 90's rock, AIC is my favorite all time band. Another under appreciated band is Seven Mary Three (SM3).

I completely forgot about Seven Mary Three...

Which to me highlights how amazing Pearl Jam Ten was... *Almost* any song on that album still sounds "right" on the radio, but Cumbersome or Water's Edge... Not so much.

That was so freakin cool.

I remember that show distinctly (recorded on VHS and watched endlessly). Chris Novoselic threw his bass up in the air after Nirvana's set (during which they started to play "Rape Me" because the MTV people said they couldn't play that one). Anyway, the bass came down and hit him in the head. Host Dana Carvey says "anyone think he felt that?"

EDIT: maybe those were a year apart. Brain's getting old.

I mean for me to be blunt, I see Grunge as the bands with ties to Green River. THat ties you to Mudhoney, MLB, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, Screaming Trees, and others. I'm sure I'm missing a few with that rule.

This I find very acceptable.

Back